1975 MUCHACHOS

and for the record, I enjoyed '74 much more than '75. :P

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably................we were all kids............and when I say that I personally knew of many throughout the fraternity, that's what I meant by common place. It was like....oh, they have overage dudes too.....what's the big deal?...........would you say that Dennis DeLucia, Jeff Lievit or Mike Messina (Anaheim Kingsmen) has no intregrity?................these were all instructors of ours that knew of some overage infractions......yet turned their heads. Thats why it seemed like to me that it was accepted. Afterall, most everyone were guilty. Again, it doesn't make it right.........it was just "common"..............I could go on for days just rebuffing the inaccurate facts listed on DCP regarding that now infamous year. After all, it's been 29 years, and it's still a topic of discussion. Something can be said for that!

Regarding the "bull call" from the stands that night. It was not Jeff Kievit that played it....but Ralph Pinacchio..............just another tidbit.

Legend........I enjoyed playing 74 more as well.....but we were told by a DCI judge during winter rehersals that if we incorporated "PINES OF ROME" into our performance............it would win a championship. 1975 was more challenging musically.......great drumline................believe it or not, it would have been nice to have won, but we were pretty much treated like rock stars in both 74 an 75.....which for us, was the ultimate turn on!

Bob Briske, former show director for DCI, told me personally that he collected all the judges' sheets immediately after the corps' prelims performance, and those sheets were NOT tabulated then, or later.

Mike

THE DQ OF THE MUCHACHOS WAS A SETUP FROM EARLY ON IN THE YEAR WHEN DCI KNEW OF THE INFRACTION. THEY HAD THE ENTIRE YEAR TO ASK US TO CORRECT THE SITUATION, YET CHOSE NOT TO.  THEY HAD PICTURES OF THE PERSON IN QUESTION AT THE WORLD OPEN....VISUAL PROOF THEY WERE SEARCHING FOR, YET STILL WAITED UNTIL PHILLY PRELIMS TO SPRING THE SURPRISE WHEN WE CAME OFF THE FIELD.

Pictures from World Open would only prove that person marched World Open. But to make it stick, authorities would have to "catch" the person marching in another DCI show after proof was obtained. I believe that's why the confrontation happened after the World prelims performance.

The rules are the rules, but it was a terrible thing to happen to so many kids who gave so much and just wanted to do drum corps. I really felt for them.

As for the comment that there was no one spitting on people from other corps, that probably is right, as far as 1975 is concerned. After 1976 V.F.W. National finals, there was spitting from one bus on members of another corps as the bus passed members of that corps waiting to cross a drive. How do I know? I was one of the members that was spit upon.

But I forgive.

Since that time, I've made some cherished friendships of members and instructors of Muchachos. Life moves forward.

Peace.

Mike

Edited by Michael Boo

All due respect to the experts....unless you were there, anything else written is fodder for the tabloids. Just more he told me she told me. Sorry you were spit on. One bad apple spoils the whole bunch. Wasn't that a song?..........Peace. Love and Soul.............Don Cornilous

...Sorry you were spit on. One bad apple spoils the whole bunch...

I have never held the entire corps responsible for the actions of a few.

As for those who did the spitting, I prefer to believe they were caught up in the moment and did not fully realize what they were doing. I forgive them.

Mike

Please explain how it is that I have a copy of the prelims performance, purchased directly from Ken Kobold.

Regards,

John swartz

Shhhhhhhhhhh! no one is suppose to know.

I got a tape of both Muchachos 75 prelims and Bridgemen 77 finals from Ken, but it was stolen from my car by somone that probably taped over it.

Rocketman