My Centerville Musings

That's my kid that plays the solo. This is his first year with SCV and I'm as proud of him as a Dad can be.

I really don't take anything you say too seriously though. I've read many of your comments on quite a few threads and it goes from ripping the visual staff to tearing into their music. You must be a very sad and lonley person that was hurt real bad to say the things you have said about the group you were once part of.

Your son is a stud! He sounds great! The solo calls for a huge sound and he's got it. When you see him, give him a huge pat on the back and great big hug (the kind when you lift him in the air and swoosh him around) from the SCV Alumni. Let him know we're very proud of him and what he represent.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everyone who believes BD is a little overrated this year. Their show is a few bars of playing, some percussive stuff and then a trumpet solo. That doesn't strike me as incredibly hard.

I have been reading all the posts for the last year, but like DCDAD. it comes a time you feel compelled to respond. THE DOESN'T STRIKE ME AS INCREDIBLY HARD, did it for me. What do YOU play? My son is a lead Sop in BD, I KNOW how hard it is, because I have to supply the Aleve for his lips. The negative posts don't bother me, but from my experience with Drum Corps for the last few years and being a trumpet player in my younger days, IT'S ALL HARD. I haven't seen SCV perform but my BD son told me they sound good. I heard BD two nights in a row and the first night they just didn't have it, but the second night they tore the field up. One, two or even three performances should not be used to judge the corps. If DCDAD's son didn't meet someones solo expectations, then it's probably because they had over played him that day and has nothing to do with his ability. BD nor SCV puts soloist in their shows who are not the best. BD's may not win, but I bet very few on this forum could physically make it thru the BD or SCV show

Edited by BDMOM04

BD's may not win, but I bet very few on this forum could physically make it thru the BD or SCV show

No offense, but I'm sure there are A LOT of people who have or do March on this forum... As for what I play... I too played sop, and I am not in anyway saying BD doesn't have talented musicians. ####, they showcase they have a few INCREDIBLE ones. But If you think BD's show is special because they have some brass players whaling all over the field, check out the Renegades...

There are almost NO melodies in BDs show this season. Whereas SCVs show is filled with melodies. I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying SCVs whole show is overall a lot harder, and a lot less showing off as it is putting out the best of everything.

In no way am I sayng BD has a terrible show, cause it's not. It's great. But I really don't believe that because it is a touch cleaner, it should be beating Vanguard by 1 and a half points. And I think in NO WAY should their percussion beat SCV ANYWHERE ANYTIME.

But then again, I'm not a judge...

[

QUOTE]But If you think BD's show is special because they have some brass players whaling all over the field,

I don't recall saying the BD show is special. It's special to me because my son plays. Whether it's a winner, I don't know, I'm not a judge, and you are right, you aren't one either. But, I do know the show is hard and that your judgement that it's not hard, only confirms that you are indeed not a judge.

Also, you have to be kind to those of us who get excited and bent out of shape when we have kids marching and we read something that sets us off. Other than that I usually enjoy your posts. :)

But, I do know the show is hard and that your judgement that it's not hard, only confirms that you are indeed not a judge.

I didn't say the show wasn't hard. I said the concept does not seem Incredibly hard. The notes the leads are hitting on their trumpets aren't easy at all. However, once again... look at the Renegades... A senior corps who has been doing that forever. Overall, BD has a difficult show, of course. But I really don't think it's 1.5 points better then SCVs. And I too don't understand why this is happening. Nor do I understand why you can almost garentee year in and out the top 4 will look like this...

1. BD or Cavies

2. BD or Cavies

3. Cadets

4. SCV

But yes, I'm not a judge...

While I understand that the BIG issue here is between BD and SCV, Doesn't it bother anyone else that this person bashed every corps except BD. I think the SCV fans should take this persons opinion with a grain of salt, because obviously they are bitter about something and have a chip on their shoulder. I was at the show and everyone I spoke to enjoyed ALL of the corps very much. Sure Marion and Bandettes are not BD and SCV, but you have to start somewhere and for someone to post a "review" and I use that word lightly, that has nothing good to say about anyone except BD just shows how uneducated a Prof. can be.

It just frustrates to see such a great show that i saw SCV perform tuesday get bashed. That was my first time ever seeing SCV and BD live and loved both their shows. Im a pretty young fan, so it was a real treat for me. Of course there are pros and cons of every show, but no corps deserves that kind of bashing. Ive kept quiet all season with all the bashing going around, and now that ive seen both BD and SCV, i just felt that i'd put my 2 cents worth in.

I hope you're not talking about me. I never intended to bash anyone, and I do think that SCV's show has legs. I was just trying to express my disappointment at the sound that their hornline is producing, that's all. I never said it wasn't good, I just think (IMHO) it's a little top-heavy and not quite top-four quality. At least not on Tuesday night when I saw them. This was also my first viewing of BD & SCV this season, and BD impressed me more, both in terms of performance quality and show design. So sue me.

And I am sorry for insulting the father of SCV's sop soloist. I should not have gone there!

There are other fathers/mothers/family that read these boards, there are current members that read these boards (although not at this moment, but they will when they get back), and there are certainly alumni that read the boards. You don't just insult that one father - you insult us all. If you marched, especially for 3 years, you would know why.

It's OK not to like what you hear, but it's not the dissention - it's the tone that tends to rile people up. Why can't we discuss these issues on the alumni board?

Thank you JimmySCV, My thoughts exactly. This is a review post and not a heated discussion. If people want to just throw how they feel around and not give a review then that should be in the alumni area or in the DCI general discussion.

Besides, this is just one show over 2 weeks from finals and a lot can happen til then and everyone and every judge has a different opinion. BUT, the judging community will have the final say on August, 7... and I plan to be there to watch everyone duke it out.

Everyone take a valium, cool down, and wait for finals and there will be much rejoicing....yeaahhhhh...