'90 VK question

I was listening to '90 VK today and I noticed something odd. A little after 4 minutes into the show, there's a sop solo and he hits his high note and all is good. But the little lick he played after that sounded exactly the same as the sop lick that came right after the infamous '89 BD sop frack. Am I just hearing things or is this just VK being VK? ^0^

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry don't remember the VK part but your post brought back memories of that '89 BD solo...man that cack just bounced around the stadium for what seemed like forever. We had seen them so many times that summer and always listened for that sweet note and he always hit it. ('til then that is...)

Didn't DCI overdub the Semi's performance on the CD for that tune? (hazy memory here)

Wow Kung Fu--good ears. Just listened to what you referred to, and now that you say it, it DOES sound like what I like to refer to as a "nod" towards the 89 BD solo. If I'm not mistaken, and I probably am, but if I'm not, I believe that soloist on soprano is John Meehan, who marched BD the year before????? So maybe there was a little poke in the ribs there...as to if it was an official poke...don't know anyone from 90 that hangs out here. Brad Pearson wrote the music, Dave Weinberg wrote the show, and I think Tom Float was teaching there then too.

Heh. :)

So John went from BD, to VK, to Crossmen??

Hmmmmm...not the "normal" route some would take...but definitely a BROAD range of experience for sure...

Ryan, I give Dream's color guard outfits this year as the all-time most colorful outfits of Drum Corps History.

:P

168575312fYXgMA_ph.jpg

YA THINK!?!?!?

Holy Cow!!! :P

I just checked the DVD's to be certain - my memory gets a bit foggy about ancient history like this...

The VK soloist in question here was Chuck Betz - Chuck could do a verbatim impression of the BD solo from the year before, missed partials and all. I have a great memory of him at a camp out in the middle of the desert playing that solo at about midnight after the rest of us packed up for the night - it was spectacular, and those vets that were around to hear it just about died laughing!

I'm pretty sure that the tag at the end of his VK solo (during the Hollywood sequence) was intentional, but I suppose you'd have to ask Chuck to be sure. Knowing him, I doubt it was an accident.

If I remember correctly, John Meehan did NOT march with us that year, but his younger brother Tim DID. Tim was one of the four screamers in BD '89 at the end of "If We Were in Love", and was in fact the one standing next to Rerun during the infamous choke - some of the camera shots almost make it look like Tim was the one at fault there. It's almost karma, because if you watch the rest of VK's show in '90, Tim is the one that DOES choke at the end of the duet in "Summer of '42", but the camera is focused on Chuck...

As for the staff, Ryan H. Turner is correct that Brad Pearson was the arranger, Tom Float took over as percussion caption head, and Dave Weinberg was the drill writer, along with the infamous Greg Clarke as show coordinator and none other than Jack Meehan as brass caption head (John and Tim's father). Credit is also due to Mike Collins as a spectaular brass tech for us that year - Mike was the BD '86 sop screamer of legend, and still teaches here in SoCal (and is on Vanguard's staff this season as well).

I done been schooled on the inner history of my most favorite corps ever...thank you Brother Matt!! :whistle: