'90 VK question

It's almost karma, because if you watch the rest of VK's show in '90, Tim is the one that DOES choke at the end of the duet in "Summer of '42", but the camera is focused on Chuck...

Are you talking about when he slides up to that double high Bb? He didn't play it strong, but I wouldn't call it a choke.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you talking about when he slides up to that double high Bb? He didn't play it strong, but I wouldn't call it a choke.

Very tail end, just before we go into the closer/tag (with the big guitars). He hit it, but he couldn't hang on - perhaps choke isn't the right word. He'd been nailing it all season long, making a sweet touch on a very pretty song, but the finals curse haunted him that night.

As for me schooling YOU, Mr. Turner, I'm certain that you have the lion's share of VK history under your hat. :whistle::whistle: I just happen to have been there, and the memory of Chuck playing that solo in the middle of the night out in Coachella is one of my all-time favorites!

As for the staff, Ryan H. Turner is correct that Brad Pearson was the arranger, Tom Float took over as percussion caption head, and Dave Weinberg was the drill writer, along with the infamous Greg Clarke as show coordinator and none other than Jack Meehan as brass caption head (John and Tim's father). Credit is also due to Mike Collins as a spectaular brass tech for us that year - Mike was the BD '86 sop screamer of legend, and still teaches here in SoCal (and is on Vanguard's staff this season as well).

...hey, Matt! I'm pretty sure Float came on in '92...it was Glen Crosby in '91 and, since '90 was one of my "vacation" years, I'm foggy as to who the drum caption head really was, but it wasn't Float as I remember him coming up to Jack and I at Nats in '91 and saying, "...Jack, man, isn't it 'bout time I work for you?"

...hey, Matt!  I'm pretty sure Float came on in '92...it was Glen Crosby in '91

Doh! Charlie, that's what I get for being a horn player. According to his DCI Hall of Fame nomination page, Float with still with BD in '90. Considering that both Float and Glen are my customers, I guess I'd better watch myself. :whistle:

I just happen to have been there, and the memory of Chuck playing that solo in the middle of the night out in Coachella is one of my all-time favorites!

Not just at Coachella, I remeber being at shows in the parking lot, after retreat and Chuck would play the "Frack" towards other corps (Phantom, Madison) and they would just die. Good times were had by all!!

I'm pretty sure Float came on in '92...it was Glen Crosby in '91 and, since '90 was one of my "vacation" years, I'm foggy as to who the drum caption head really was

This has been bugging me all day! I finally tracked it down courtesy of Jeff Queen's website - it was Dave Dillulo in '90. Not that anyone else really wanted to know that, I'm sure, but when you've got an itch...

I feel your pain Matt of not knowing something that you SHOULD know...

I mean, really...you think I knew ANYTHING about conducting when I was VK's drum major????

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

(Although I was better than Dave Carico!!)

Since when was that ever a pre-requisite for being a VK DM??

^0^

(Sorry Bill!)

OUCH....daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnng Bill, he dogged your sorry butt.

:whistle:

I think I'm going to regret saying "sorry butt" come Thursday--are you going to the quarterfinals Bill?