Favorite Drumline

flamtap65

Just wondering what everybodys favorite drumline form DCI is/ was and the reasons you love them.... for me SCV this year was my favorite drumline in my 5 years of being a drum corps addict, i just love the way there drums sound through out the line. excellent tuning and they have such an aggresize style and know how to play #### clean.

hope we can get some good responses.

for some reason i was really into blue knights and capital regiment......

Phantoms drumline is definately my favorite but blue knights were real tight! their bassline was ######## too....they did some cool stuff...i also like their clips on vicfirth.com

Go BK!

SCV bassline was smoking as they usually do every year. Cavies were also up there as opposed to some of their other shows. I honestly enjoyed Phantom's entire percussion ensemble due to the fact that this years show was not one big ballad.

• 2 weeks later...

BD for me! (duh). I like the style they bring and Scott is a GREAT writer. They have aggressivenesss, attitude and are always pushing the envelope. Unfortunately, by doing that, they sacrifice a little bit of cleanliness, but that, to me is understandable. SCV in recent years has also been another favorite of mine. Cadets are crazy clean.

Now, not to bash or anything, but i can never get into the Cavaliers books. They obviously have talented players and instructors, but the writing leaves more to be wanted (hint, 2003).

On the other end, I really enjoyed the Mandarins line this year. I saw them in Seattle and those guys can rock.

Scott is a GREAT writer. 

Scott doesn't write, Dave Glyde does.

They both write and they are both caption heads at the Blue Devils. Kinda like Jim Casella (arranger) and Murray Gusseck (caption head) at SCV. I was also referring back to the mid '90's when Scott became the Blue Devils Caption head for percussion (in 1994). I did not necessarliy mean just the last two or three years.

It'll always be SCV but BD & VK are really close as well.

Favorite SCV moment:

1993 at the Seattle show during the snare break one of the snares dropped his left stick just before the flam fives. He continued to play the rest of the break with one stick. Flash forward to the victory concert and at the same point he dropped his stick during the show the entire snareline all dropped their left stick and played the rest of the drum feature with right sticks only.

Favorite VK moment:

1992 SCV home show. First parking lot I'd ever been to before. I'd heard the name Tom Float but didn't really know much about him. Hearing his "floatisms" live and then watching one of the most easily clean runthroughs of my life while he played the snare parts with his bare hands on the center snares drum was astounding.

Favorite BD moment:

1993 in Jackson. The line was warming up in a little grove of trees during Finals night. No real light on the drumline except the 20 or so camcorders in front of them. Suddenly the big lightning storm (that ended up dumping rain down on the scouts during the show) opened up right behind them as they played through the book. The lightning was blue and purple and was really the only thing lighting them up since the rain chased off all the guys with camcorders. Not the most exciting thing chopswise but the visual impact was amazing.