Sops, What'd You Play?

BeachDrums

Hi all. I was just wondering what the 2004 soprano players from all corps were playing on. This time of year, I thought many readers could benefit from replies and opinions. For example, the Cavies had Yamaha 8345S. Good instrument or not? Any manufacturer to avoid, or do all makers offer student through professional? I have heard that Flip Oakes Wild Thing is the horn to buy IF you have a spare $3000. I would imagine it just depends on what kind of playing it would be used for and one's own personal taste. No, I am not affiliated with any horn manufacturer whatsoever, just curious.

Evidently, this is a very "touchy" issue with horn players. I didn't realize. From now on, I'll stick with less controversial topics, like amps, singing, Hoppy, Finals in Orlando, DCI, and placement at finals.

Rebels horns: Kanstul 3 valves. Valves stick a lot but sound good. These horns require a lot of maintenance.

Rebels horns: Kanstul 3 valves. Valves stick a lot but sound good. These horns require a lot of maintenance.

Kanstul valve section are Identical on the bugle to the Student Line of Kanstul trumpets.Its the only way Kanstul could cut corners and still offer the bugles at the price they are at.

My power bore had horrible valves.After taking some lessons in valve maintenance 101 from a very knowledgeable horn designer I was able to over come the deficiencies in these tight valve instruments.

1st you need to buy some Really fast valve oil in synthetic form that is formulated for tight valves.I have had really good luck with the " Hetman's synthetic light piston oil " and equally good results with "pro oil".

Soak your horn overnight in extremely warm water and soap.Get yourself a good set of valve brushes and bore snakes and go to work on them.Be sure to get into the little ports that run in between the valves.This is where the majority of the crap and crud that they use to lap the valves hides.

Return the horn to the warm water overnight and repeat in the morning.

Use the Hetmans or pro oil generously and rotate the valve around 45 degrees in both directions to get a good evenly distributed coating on the valves.

Soak the valves seperatly in a glass filled with warm water and soap.Be sure to clean the ports out real good with your bore snake.

Repeat this process for several weeks until the valves begin to feel like they should.It took almost 6 months for me to get all of the crud out of the horn.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Paul at the Brass shop on line also showed me how to beef up the valve springs.It makes them faster and more responsive.