• Cadets
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Bluecoats
    • Glassmen
    • Crossmen
    • Magic of Orlando

How can you honestly say they never played above a mezzo-forte?

Aside from the last chord, the Cavaliers' hornline never even approached forte, atleast how it's defined by drum corps standards. Their technique was excellent, without a doubt, but they weren't loud. I was sitting right in the kill-zone of Camp Randall (50 yard line, 30 rows up) and they weren't loud.

I think their book had a lot of demand in terms of timing and intonation exposure, but they didn't have many notes.

Michael Oldemeyer

And what if they didn't WANT to play above a mezzo forte? Why sacrifice that beautiful sound they had just to sound loud and overblown like so many corps do? Why is LOUD considered good? Sure it can be exciting, but I thought the way the Cavaliers balanced and played with such a great approach to the way brass is supposed to sound was JUST as exciting.

And if it were true that they didn't play above an mf, then there most surely would have been balance issues with the percussion, and I don't remember any. You don't score a 20 in music ensemble if you have balance issues.

It's a common misconception that a corps can't play load and have beautiful sound quality at the same time. Countless corps have achieved just that, many of them in 2002. In fact, I would say that a hornline that demonstrates good sound quality at both dynamic extremes has achieved much more than a hornline that stays in the middle.

Michael Oldemeyer

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nuts4Corps

It's a common misconception that a corps can't play load and have beautiful sound quality at the same time. Countless corps have achieved just that, many of them in 2002. In fact, I would say that a hornline that demonstrates good sound quality at both dynamic extremes has achieved much more than a hornline that stays in the middle.

Michael Oldemeyer

I would agree to an extent. I would love to hear that actually happen, but I don't really think it has. BD has a great FF, but you really don't hear them play soft. Regiment can't play loud without some offensive baritone sound coming out (even in the "high brass" years). Honestly, SCV might be the only corps that has played extreme loud and extreme soft and done it successfully. As for the Cavaliers...no, they didn't play as loud as other corps. Could they have if they wanted to? Certainly.

just my two cents.

NUTS

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well since I bleed blue......my pick is Blue Devils...I loved their contra line this past year, and I am never disappointed with their baris!

Kimela