• Bluecoats
    • Glassmen
    • Crossmen
    • Magic of Orlando

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw one show all year and I voted who I thought was best. I don't always vote for my corps just because I marched there. Maybe watching Regiment rehearse that afternoon helped me appreciate their show more, but I was impressed with how well their low brass section sounded and how improved it was from last year. Living in Texas doesn't give me the wonderful opportunities some of you have to see shows several times and my opinion may change once I get my CD's and DVD's. Until then I'm sticking with the Buicks.

• 2 weeks later...

I will say, that I am stuck between SCV and Glassmen on this one. My reason why is this: these two low brass lines can achieve a sound that is both darker and warmer than most other lines. I love to hear those dar sounds, it builds a great bottom for everyone else in the ensemble.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree that Spirit should have been part of this poll.

My ranking:

1. Bluecoats -- what a deep rich low brass sound! Surprised that they haven't been referenced more.

2. Phantom

3. Spirit

4. SCV

5. Blue Devils

I can't put Cavaliers on this list until they show me they can play above mf.

Harvey Phelps

I liked the brass line of everyone cept Cavis. i don't know, part of me says they played well. But the same part also says, well look at what they played. they weren't the most challenges brass line, musically, out there. So of course they're going to be the best sounding they are great musicians. When you give easier music to great musicians, they will make it practically perfect. But give those same musicians harder music, and its not a perfect. If any of the other top 4/5 corps had thier book, they too would have had a near perfect hornline. I'm not trying to knock Cavis, its just IMHO a hornline should be challenged alot more before such greatness should be given to their performance, IMHO.. till later

opps, i didn't mean to put it, that i didn't liek Cavis hornline. i did. The way i meant to put it was, i thought all the hornlines were very good, but cavis i thought was boistered up from how much people were giving them such a great ability and performace, as opposed to other corps. I liked BD and PR the most.

After hearing Spirit's hornline warmup on several occasions last summer, I give two thumbs up for Spirit's contraline. The baris and euphs were ok, but the contraline was simply on fire. Loved listening to the line just for the big contra sound.

Phantom Regiment gets the intensity award. 2002 was easily one of the loudest Regiment hornlines I have ever heard.