• Cadets
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Bluecoats
    • Glassmen
    • Crossmen
    • Magic of Orlando

I disagree, cheezedog. This year's Cavaliers hornline was simply amazing. No one else on the field sounded like them.

I don't think anything other hornline could have tackled the book and made it sound the way it did, especially "Harmony". Now I'm not trying to discount anyone's opinion hear, but I think it's become cool to knock on the Cavaliers for lack of demand, when they actually probably had the hardest book out there this year. Just because it sounds easy doesn't mean it's easy.

As for PR, well, contrary to what the Renegades say, LOUD isn't necessarily good, and that's all I'll say about that.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jayzer, completely disagree with you.

First, Cavaliers were impressive in brass this year, but that book wasn't that hard & they never played above MF.

PR on the other had an incredibly demanding book, which they pulled off with power, emotion and incredible quality. In looking at the results of this poll, obviously a lot of people agree with that!

Harvey Phelps

wow. SCV had one of the thickest sounding low brass lines last year. You can really hear the difference with all those euphs.

Large bore, baby! :D

How can you honestly say they never played above a mezzo-forte?

Aside from the last chord, the Cavaliers' hornline never even approached forte, atleast how it's defined by drum corps standards. Their technique was excellent, without a doubt, but they weren't loud. I was sitting right in the kill-zone of Camp Randall (50 yard line, 30 rows up) and they weren't loud.

I think their book had a lot of demand in terms of timing and intonation exposure, but they didn't have many notes.

Michael Oldemeyer

I don't think anything other hornline could have tackled the book and made it sound the way it did, especially "Harmony". Now I'm not trying to discount anyone's opinion hear, but I think it's become cool to knock on the Cavaliers for lack of demand, when they actually probably had the hardest book out there this year. Just because it sounds easy doesn't mean it's easy.

Jayzer, come on man. You must be kidding me. The Cavaliers had the hardest book in DCI? Not even close. The book was not very difficult.

Now dont get me wrong; I am not knocking the Cavaliers, but they simply were not loud and did not have a very demanding horn book. Period.

Something I will give the 2002 Cavaliers hornline credit for: Timbre, and nuance. They created very uniqure timbres that were great for the field. Even the backfield use was very appropriate. I might even go as far to say that they used a good deal of nuance, but to say they were loud and had a demanding horn book is simply nonsense.

I'll give you that their book wasn't as technical as maybe some of the others were, but I stand by the fact that no one else could have played it as well as they did.

From an intonation standpoint, I would have to say their book was the hardest.

That said, I believe the Cavaliers had the best sounding low brass out there.

Guest Nuts4Corps
How can you honestly say they never played above a mezzo-forte?

Aside from the last chord, the Cavaliers' hornline never even approached forte, atleast how it's defined by drum corps standards. Their technique was excellent, without a doubt, but they weren't loud. I was sitting right in the kill-zone of Camp Randall (50 yard line, 30 rows up) and they weren't loud.

I think their book had a lot of demand in terms of timing and intonation exposure, but they didn't have many notes.

Michael Oldemeyer

And what if they didn't WANT to play above a mezzo forte? Why sacrifice that beautiful sound they had just to sound loud and overblown like so many corps do? Why is LOUD considered good? Sure it can be exciting, but I thought the way the Cavaliers balanced and played with such a great approach to the way brass is supposed to sound was JUST as exciting.

And if it were true that they didn't play above an mf, then there most surely would have been balance issues with the percussion, and I don't remember any. You don't score a 20 in music ensemble if you have balance issues.

NUTS