SCV 05 snareline

Morgoth Bauglir

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So besides everyone saying how bad supposedly traditional is anymore.. does any one have any thoughts to why they are doing this? i know there philosiphy is low impact or waht ever, ( correct me if i am wrong) is this just a way to take that concept to another level? just wondering if anyone has any real reason as to why they switched other that someone saying that traditional is too old or what ever.

The left hand of a traditional grip is un-natural (would you ever pick anything other than a drumstick up like that?) and intended to get "over the top" of an old-time snare/sling/legrest setup. I'm no doctor, but from a bio-mechanical standpoint, matchgrip makes far more sense, better control and more musculature coming in to play. Symetrical grip helps with uniformity of sound. It will drive all the traditional players nuts trying to switch over (killed me in '81) but the benefits are there if you stick with it (no pun intended - "stick with it" - I crack myself up sometimes :lolhit: ).

I never really understood why traditional grip made a comeback back in the late '80s.

Jim

forget that science mumbo-jumbo...as long as they r playing,and havin fun...and just being percussionist!its all good!

I agree, SCV will be great no matter what grip they use. ^OO^

I use both grips with my line, it's better to teach younger kids both, and make sure they are holding the sticks correctly, they only problem I have had is blisters.

My friend is a snare drummer who hopes to march with SCV's line sometime in the next 4 years....I told him today that they are playing match grip next year, and he freaked out. His opinion:

"I HATE THEM! That is so lame. Match grip looks so stupid."

I guess I sorta agree. I have gotten so used to snare drummers playing trad. grip that it looks cool to me, and if they play match grip, it looks really wierd and awkward...almost nerdy. Well, I hope they decide that they don't like it next year, and go back to traditional for '06.

My friend is a snare drummer who hopes to march with SCV's line sometime in the next 4 years....I told him today that they are playing match grip next year, and he freaked out. His opinion:

"I HATE THEM! That is so lame. Match grip looks so stupid."

If that was your friend's response, he has a lot to learn before he ever comes close to marching in SCV or any other reputable corps in DCI. Drum Corps is a lot more than your ability to play a drum well and march well. It has a whole lot to do with character & maturity, both of which your friend is sorely lacking based on his childish remark.

forget that science mumbo-jumbo...as long as they r playing,and havin fun...and just being percussionist!its all good!

Well - at the level we're talking about, staffs do look at the science to help them gain an edge - that's why we now have water breaks (hydration), breathing exercises, specially designed marching shoes, etc.

Jim

Well - at the level we're talking about, staffs do look at the science to help them gain an edge - that's why we now have water breaks (hydration), breathing exercises, specially designed marching shoes, etc.

Jim

Specially designed marching shoes???? Wow, I have been out if it for a while. :(

Jim

Specially designed marching shoes???? Wow, I have been out if it for a while. :(

Drill Masters, Dinkels - there's a few brands out there.