Ultimate Latin Show?

Dukeboy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

La Fiesta Mexicana would make a great ballad. There is a lot of powerful chord progressions in this piece, and if you can get two chime sets on the field, on both ends of the pit.. ooooooh man!

By the way, Yamato is looking at doing a latin theme for their show in 2003.

A Drum Corps Fan's Dream, Part Dos, was the definitive latin brass show.

NEGATIVE. A good show sure but THE definitive Latin Show was/is:

"Getting to OLE!", 2002 MASS BRASS

It was CALIENTE!

AND, had DUENDE to BURN!!

"...Listen, I go to the symphony. I play in civic symphonies. All of that has its place. But so does finding 20 savage brass players and torquing up a flamenco rave like Malaguena to the most exquisite psyche-cracking volumes and tempos and whipping the crowd into a bug-eyed, foaming rampage. Yeah, baby, when you reach the part of the soul that only knows how to howl and you beat it with a stick, yes, my friend, that's drum corps."

Description of "Getting to OLE!" in the SUNDAY BOSTON GLOBE, City Weekly, September 8, 2002

B) B) B)

If I did a Latin show, I'd have El Gato as the closer. This song is from Duke Ellington's Live at the Blue Note CD and features some very Maynard-esque trumpet playing by Cat Anderson and Clark Terry as well as some insanely psycho trumpet section playing late in the song. Really one of those "I can't believe it hasn't been done yet" songs.

"...Listen, I go to the symphony. I play in civic symphonies. All of that has its place. But so does finding 20 savage brass players and torquing up a flamenco rave like Malaguena to the most exquisite psyche-cracking volumes and tempos and whipping the crowd into a bug-eyed, foaming rampage. Yeah, baby, when you reach the part of the soul that only knows how to howl and you beat it with a stick, yes, my friend, that's drum corps."

Is this not the best description of drum corps ever written?

(although I'd change the 20 to 70)

w/Stp: (and the quote)

'95 Madison ruled. If I were to change anything , I would put in '88 Malaguena--love the 'mello solo(but I'd put in a coupla lip trills just to get the crowd's goose bumps goin') ^0^

I have to agree, 95 Scouts was definitely the ultimate Latin show. If I were to pick the music for a Latin show, it would consist of the songs:

El Camino Real <- Awesome Tune!

One More Time

El Gato triste