1977 DCI PRELIMS

What about any of the following shows, especially the major ones from 1977 - from corpreps.com

Scores for 1977

Date Show Position Score

July 10 CYO Nationals Boston MA 10 63.450

August 4 DCI North Ypsilanti MI 5 70.750

August 6 U.S. Open Marion OH 4 79.900

August 6 U.S. Open - Prelims Marion OH 4 77.900

August 8 Alton IL 7 74.650

August 10 Wichita KS 4 75.050

August 13 Glenwood Springs CO 3 80.100

August 14 Greeley CO 5 81.100

August 18 DCI World Championships - Prelims Denver CO DCI 15 82.900

August 27 Canadian National Finals Scarborough ONT 2 82.900

Maybe DCI North, US Open, or Canadian National Finals? I mean you must have been awesome thruout the year! I know in 1981 DCI East was on TV and also taped, maybe one of the above shows was shown in 1977 and there is at least a tape of that show, that drum line, etc.

It's a shame, and on so many site, it's been a topic of discussion. The whole tragegy of it, etc.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe DCI North, US Open, or Canadian National Finals?

I've been trying for years now to locate a copy of the 1978 Canadian Nationals telecast . . . to no avail. I know it was televised because I watched it with my parents in our hotel room later that same night. I've tried contacting . . . well, everyone from the cable company that carried the telecast to the Ontario Drum Corps Association. Nobody seems to know anything. So I doubt folks will have any more success trying to find a tape of Canadian Nationals from the previous year. But it can't hurt to try.

I've been trying for years now to locate a copy of the 1978 Canadian Nationals telecast . . . to no avail. I know it was televised because I watched it with my parents in our hotel room later that same night. I've tried contacting . . . well, everyone from the cable company that carried the telecast to the Ontario Drum Corps Association. Nobody seems to know anything. So I doubt folks will have any more success trying to find a tape of Canadian Nationals from the previous year. But it can't hurt to try.

That really stinks! I wonder if you could get maybe someone doing an internship there who's be willing to look thru their tape files. If there is such a person and you could get them on the phone, I'm wonderning if they wouldn't do it for a small fee? Someone in college might need a little extra cash.

Just a maybe wild or crazy idea..... :worthy:

Hi, Sam.

Oh, it happened alright. I was teaching Garfield (great hornline, so-so marching, couldn't get arrested in drums) and we used to speculate what would happen if we brought Cadets horns and Oakland's drums together in '77.

Also, a point of order: I produced that drum solo CD. The reason Oakland's not there is that I was restricted to the DCI finals CD releases for source material.

Your drumline's achievement was monumental and deserves recognition. I believe Float provided a good deal of that by virtue of his subsequent success at Atlanta and Concord. Without his Oakland line his career would have played out quite differently, I believe.

From the horse's mouth, i'm mean lips.

OK, so I have this thought, and it's not directed at you, but you did provide the info.

It's too bad that DCI felt they had to make a restriction on which drum solo's to allow, since there have been so many really great drum solos, or even good solos played greatly, that didn't get into finals. The size of that pool is what - one.

regards,

John

I'm not bitter, just pointing out the hypocracy of the management.

On topic, I do believe Oakland is the only case of a DivI corps taking a caption and not making finals (but this was under the "tick system" where things like that were more likely to happen),

It happened once. The likeliness has nothing to do with the judging system, or it would have happened more than once - though with the ranking model in place today it's unlikely to happen again. For that matter I don't know of any corps that consistantly came in dead larst during the season walking away with a caption consistantly.

and LVK and CoH are the only corps since to have done that regardless of division (and this only happened because of the changes in awarding II/III finalist spots).

Good for you guys, but in division III it has happened more than a few times that a corps was very strong in one caption and too weak in the others to make finals. I personally had an experience with one corps that notched half it's total score (drum X, PA and GE) just in drums on a regular basis.

Regards,

John Swartz

The more I think about it, the more I believe DCI should do a retrospective on this event, either in an upcoming telecast or on the website. How 'bout an interview with Tom Float and a few members of the line, with photos and audio/video? I know I'm biased, since I marched Oakland, but I really believe this event is historical enough that it merits special recognition.

Ideas like this are exactly why we pay you the big bucks.

To hear what Tom has to say about it, go here:

www.vicfirth.com/artists/artistF1.html#

click on his name , then click on Tom's Teaching Career.

Regards,

John

That really stinks!  I wonder if you could get maybe someone doing an internship there who's be willing to look thru their tape files.  If there is such a person and you could get them on the phone, I'm wonderning if they wouldn't do it for a small fee?  Someone in college might need a little extra cash.

Just a maybe wild or crazy idea.....  :worthy:

If the tapes exist anymore. The station where I work threw out tons of tape when we upgraded from 3/4" tape to DVCPro - against all the arguments I had for keeping the stuff.

Then, we did it again when we were sold to another company that was a Sony shop - against all the arguments I made for keeping the tapes.

Now, there are folks wandering around the office bemoaning the fact that we have no archive footage of certain things.

Still, it doesn't hurt to ask, you never know which management types actually think long term and do the right thing.

Regards,

John

That really stinks!  I wonder if you could get maybe someone doing an internship there who's be willing to look thru their tape files.  If there is such a person and you could get them on the phone, I'm wonderning if they wouldn't do it for a small fee?  Someone in college might need a little extra cash.

Just a maybe wild or crazy idea.....  :worthy:

I've already gone that route. The problem is, the cable company has long since ditched the master tape (or, at least, that's what they tell me). It was common practice to reuse the same tapes over and over again, rather than archiving them, and so they simply would've taped over that program with something else. They claim this is not on file anywhere there, and that all of those tapes are long gone.

I've also tried contacting ODCA, Oakies, etc., with no luck. I'd be willing to bet there's a tape kicking around there somewhere in somebody's basement, and I just haven't gotten through to the right person yet. I tried posting an ad on ODCA's website. All I got were lots of e-mails from other Oakies looking for the same tape, and asking me if I ever find one, to let them know.

Edited by byline

I called Rogers Cable about three years after the '78 Canadian Nationals to see if I could get a copy of it and you're right, NOBODY knew anything about!!!

OK, I was kicking myself because I hadn't started working on this sooner. I guess that wouldn't have made any difference, eh? :worthy:

We also have to remember that tapes from that era were of a different format, probably Betamax. So once VHS took over, I'll bet that rather than transferring whatever old tapes they did have archived over to VHS, they simply tossed them. Technology is a wonderful thing . . . until it becomes obsolete.

Edited by byline