1977 DCI PRELIMS

OK, I was kicking myself because I hadn't started working on this sooner. I guess that wouldn't have made any difference, eh? :worthy:

We also have to remember that tapes from that era were of a different format, probably Betamax. So once VHS took over, I'll bet that rather than transferring whatever old tapes they did have archived over to VHS, they simply tossed them. Technology is a wonderful thing . . . until it becomes obsolete.

Old formats aren't a problem, if you know where to go to transfer them to a digital format. Anything that was recorded for broadcast isn't going to be on Betamax or VHS anyway, so if any of you ever find a station that actually has the show in question recorded please contact me. Even if you find someone who taped it off air, or off cable, still get in touch because I can get it copied.

Regards,

John Swartz

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old formats aren't a problem, if you know where to go to transfer them to a digital format. Anything that was recorded for broadcast isn't going to be on Betamax or VHS anyway, so if any of you ever find a station that actually has the show in question recorded please contact me. Even if you find someone who taped it off air, or off cable, still get in touch because I can get it copied.

Hi, John!

When I talked about the old formats, I wasn't saying it's a problem to transfer them. I know that can be done fairly easily. What I meant is that unfortunately, that's an added incentive for cable companies to toss out the old stuff, unless it's something they really, really want to keep. As the letter I got back from Rogers Cable said, "Unfortunately, copies of programs produced in 1978 and 1980 are no longer available. Although we endeavor to maintain an archive of most of our programming, productions dating back to that time period were produced on a videotape format that is no longer supported by current equipment."

Oh, well. That means we're left with hoping there's an old tape in somebody's attic or basement. But if it's out there somewhere, I've never been able to track it down.

Hi, John!

When I talked about the old formats, I wasn't saying it's a problem to transfer them. I know that can be done fairly easily. What I meant is that unfortunately, that's an added incentive for cable companies to toss out the old stuff, unless it's something they really, really want to keep. As the letter I got back from Rogers Cable said, "Unfortunately, copies of programs produced in 1978 and 1980 are no longer available. Although we endeavor to maintain an archive of most of our programming, productions dating back to that time period were produced on a videotape format that is no longer supported by current equipment."

Oh, well. That means we're left with hoping there's an old tape in somebody's attic or basement. But if it's out there somewhere, I've never been able to track it down.

Sue you just never know......someday a "home made" video may turn up. Last week, I got a DVD of 1981 Montreal Prelims.....very RARE...and I am greatful! b**bs :worthy:

Great that you had that video turn up, Malibu! We can always hope. . . .

From the horse's mouth, i'm mean lips.

OK, so I have this thought, and it's not directed at you, but you did provide the info.

It's too bad that DCI felt they had to make a restriction on which drum solo's to allow, since there have been so many really great drum solos, or even good solos played greatly, that didn't get into finals. The size of that pool is what - one.

regards,

John

I'm not bitter, just pointing out the hypocracy of the management.

John,

I really don't think there was hypocricy here, or any attempt to slight anyone. Jeff Mitchell and I spent weeks listening to 30 years-worth of finals drum solo recordings, specifically trying to get as broad a representation as possible so that all selections would not come from the same 5

or 6 corps, however outstanding they were. We didn't look at scores or placements, just used our ears.

The problem was, '77 Oakland does not appear on a CD, and those were the recordings we sourced.

I agree that it is a shame this great drum line was not better documented. If the currently available CDs move strong enough numbers, there will be a second volume. Should I be involved again, I will request use of the '77 prelims analog recording so that line is included.

Frank

I agree that it is a shame this great drum line was not better documented. If the currently available CDs move strong enough numbers, there will be a second volume. Should I be involved again, I will request use of the '77 prelims analog recording so that line is included.

Thanks, Frank! ^OO^

Sue, I've always been curious, how was the corps' unity that summer?  With such a dominant section, I could see the possibility of friction between them and members of the horn line.

I didn't march in '77; I joined the corps in '78, so I really can't answer that question. I heard a lot about it, of course, because it had happened the previous year, but I wasn't there during that season. John was, though. Paging John. . . .

Here's a story John wrote which is posted on the Del/Oakland alumni site: 1977 Crusaders

Edited by byline

Upon reading John's article, I realize that the Oakland Crusaders were the springboard for the notable arranging career of Ralph Hardimon, DCI Hall of Famer and recent Lifetime Achievement Award recipient. He is also my best friend, former roommate and "Best Man". Drum corps is truly a small world that connects us all.

(Ralph and Float anchored Anaheim's snare line in the early '70s, as you probably know.)

I didn't march in '77; I joined the corps in '78, so I really can't answer that question. I heard a lot about it, of course, because it had happened the previous year, but I wasn't there during that season. John was, though. Paging John. . . .

Here's a story John wrote which is posted on the Del/Oakland alumni site: 1977 Crusaders