1977 DCI PRELIMS

I didn't march in '77; I joined the corps in '78, so I really can't answer that question. I heard a lot about it, of course, because it had happened the previous year, but I wasn't there during that season. John was, though. Paging John. . . .

Here's a story John wrote which is posted on the Del/Oakland alumni site: 1977 Crusaders

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sue, I've always been curious, how was the corps' unity that summer?  With such a dominant section, I could see the possibility of friction between them and members of the horn line.

As member of the drumline and the person who posted this topic originally, i can assure you that the unity was great...we were like a family...the rest of the corps were really proud of us and pulling for us all the way as we were for them...not to blow our own horn (no pun intended), you have to remember that this wasn't anything really new for everyone as we were always one of the top 2 or 3 drumlines from "75 -78...

More importantly they became legends.

These are the people who marched in the line, taught the line, and wrote the music. They were unique.

Repertoire

Bacchanale from Sampson & Delilah

Drum Solo School Daze (Stanley Clark)

Sing, Sing, Sing

Celebration Suite

El Gato Triste

Book By

Harry Clark

Ralph Hardiman

Educators

Tom Float

Bob Cook

Mike Bruni

Phil Huntley

Cymbals

1 Janet Butler

2 Bob McCormick (2nd Tour)

3-6 ( Still looking for Names)

Tympani

1st Tour

1 Greg Mellnick

2 Al Taylor

3 Brian Mason

4 Bob McCormick

5 Kevin Dunne

2nd Tour

1 Greg Mellnick

2 Collin Brooks

3 Jimmy Wickstrom

4 Bob NcCormick

5 Kevin Dunne

Keyboards

1 Vince Cicchine

2 Carol Munro

Tenors

1 Cliff Blundell

2 Doug Darwin

3 Chris Taylor

4 Ron Huckstep

5 Larry Lerch

Basses

1 Mark Blanford

2 Joan Butler

3 Jeff McKay

4 Dwayne Dumont

5 John "Sarnia Sam" Swartz

Note: Murray Stan subbed for two shows on 2nd tour

Snares

1 Randy Wickstrom

2 Mike Robinson

3 Tim Kowalski

4 Bruce Thomas

5 Doug Bass

6 Wayne Saunders

7 Dave Morton

8 Peter Boyle

9 Mark Doering

Information compiled by: John "Sarnia Sam" Swartz

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::ph34r::blush::rock::tic:

I know how badly we as a competing corps felt, and how sad our drum line was about this. I believe it put a big damper not only on prelims day, but finals as well.

I didn't march in '77; I joined the corps in '78, so I really can't answer that question. I heard a lot about it, of course, because it had happened the previous year, but I wasn't there during that season. John was, though. Paging John. . . .

Here's a story John wrote which is posted on the Del/Oakland alumni site: 1977 Crusaders

Hello? Zdatchew?

I have to agree with OaklandCrusader.

Our horn line didn't suck and neither did the guard. We were just way behind in marching since we scrapped the first drill midway through first tour and never got the new one cleaned up well enough.

Personally, I really don't think we were that far out of it in marching judging by the symetry and uniformity in the still pictures I have and have seen - I mean if we were that bad at marching you'd have seen some of the two and four count form discrepencies side to side like I routinely saw in many of the sets from Kilts in 78 (I just watched it last night and couldn't believe how off some of those forms were for a 12th place corps).

I can recall how hard the whole corps worked in the last couple of weeks to get the drill cleaned up. I especially remember some of the horn players urging others in the line to work harder so we didn't miss finals.

To be honest, I think a lot of the horn players were more bummed than we were about missing finals and the drum line losing out on the trophy.

Regards,

John

Upon reading John's article, I realize that the Oakland Crusaders were the springboard for the notable arranging career of Ralph Hardimon, DCI Hall of Famer and recent Lifetime Achievement Award recipient. He is also my best friend, former roommate and "Best Man". Drum corps is truly a small world that connects us all.

(Ralph and Float anchored Anaheim's snare line in the early '70s, as you probably know.)

Ralph wrote the drum solo, Clark did the rest. I remember our March camp at the Armoury. We were on a break and I sat at a cafeteria type table with Ralph at the other end, score sheets spread out, writing the ending of the solo, or maybe it was some changes. He had rings on every finger even then.

Regards,

John

CADETS BRASS,  + OAKLANDS  DRUMS, WOULD BE GREAT

Lets take it one step further Cadet’s Brass, Oakland’s Drum line, and Boston’s Visual and Rifle Line. Boston did take top GE visual two nights later in the same stadium as DCI at the A.L. by almost two points

That would have been a masterpiece.

Actually, we would have been happy with Optimists' marching and GE. Or, they would have been happy with our drum line, take your pick.

Regards,

John

Actually, we would have been happy with Optimists' marching and GE. Or, they would have been happy with our drum line, take your pick.

Yup, I always believed that if Seneca and Oakland had been able to combine their strengths, that would've been a DCI champion corps . . . or pretty darned close to it. They had the drill design and execution, along with an amazing guard. Oakland had a pretty darned nice horn line, in addition to a fine drum line.

I'll never forget starting out in '78, and how excited everyone was, because the talent level was so high. And then I remember how the optimism faded into . . . well, something else as the season progressed. Actually, though, that horn line got pretty decent scores in prelims, along with the drum line. M&M was what killed us . . . as usual. 1978 recaps

Still, I'm proud of that corps. It was my introduction to drum corps, and I have lots of fun memories of so many good people. So there's only so much I'm going to complain about the scores and placements. That's part of it, and yes, I'm competitive, so some of that hurt. But it's not the be-all and end-all of my experience.

Our horn line didn't suck and neither did the guard. We were just way behind in marching since we scrapped the first drill midway through first tour and never got the new one cleaned up well enough.

Many of the comments I remember from fellow guard members is that the '77 guard book was excellent, much better than what we had in '78. Of course, I wasn't really in a position to judge since I never saw the '77 show. But I do remember a basic feeling that M&M was the big hurdle. As I recall, the revised drill was vastly superior to the old one, but the corps just didn't have enough time to really clean up the execution.

I wish I could see a video of this show. *sigh*

And I wish there were some physical evidence of the snare line (I think it was) spinning rifles during first tour that year! B)