1977 DCI PRELIMS

Hi, I am a fromer member of the Oakland Crusader Drumline... In 1977, we won top drums in the prelims with a score of 18.85...Unfortunatly, our corps just missed making the finals that year...I was wondering if anybody out there in Drum Corps Land has a copy of our performance either on VHS or DVD they would be willing to sell...I've also posted in the Marketplace section as well...thanks

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I am a fromer member of the Oakland Crusader Drumline... In 1977, we won top drums in the prelims with a score of 18.85...Unfortunatly, our corps just missed making the finals that year...I was wondering if anybody out there in Drum Corps Land has a copy of our performance either on VHS or DVD they would be willing to sell...I've also posted in the Marketplace section as well...thanks

Try tracking down Tom Float. I think he marched in that line, and might know who if anyone has it on video. good luck.

Try tracking down Tom Float.  I think he marched in that line, and might know who if anyone has it on video.  good luck.

Hi:

I've been asking around for a few years with no luck. I'll bet DCI has one since they usually shot prelims to have clips of the corps that missed finals to roll into the broadcast, but they say they don't.

Sometimes I think they wish it never happened because they continually leave us out of thngs like the drum solos CD.

Who is this? PM me.

There was a reunion at the end of October for everyone who marched Del/Oaklands and there had to be about 40 people just from 77 there. You missed a good party.

The alumni website is www.delasalle-drumcorps.com

Do you have the audio recording? If not, I do.

Regards,

John Swartz

I'll bet DCI has one since they usually shot prelims to have clips of the corps that missed finals to roll into the broadcast, but they say they don't.

Having rummaged through the shelves at the DCI office personally, I'd bet they don't have any 1977 prelim footage. If they ran any "preview" footage in the 1977 broadcast, it probably came from DCI Midwest in Whitewater, which was filmed for an edited "highlights" program. Unfortunately, Oakland Crusaders did not attend that show.

Having rummaged through the shelves at the DCI office personally, I'd bet they don't have any 1977 prelim footage.  If they ran any "preview" footage in the 1977 broadcast, it probably came from DCI Midwest in Whitewater, which was filmed for an edited "highlights" program.  Unfortunately, Oakland Crusaders did not attend that show.

thanks for the reply...i think we did compete in whitewater but it was in "76

Sometimes I think they wish it never happened because they continually leave us out of thngs like the drum solos CD.

And that, I think, is a real tragedy. It's almost like they don't want to acknowledge that such a thing could happen: A corps receiving the top score in a caption, but not making finals. It was a bittersweet turn of events for Oakland, but still historic because no other corps has done it. It's really sad to me that other than the prelims recording and recap scores, there appears to be no other archived documentation of this achievement.

Hi:

I've been asking around for a few years with no luck. I'll bet DCI has one since they usually shot prelims to have clips of the corps that missed finals to roll into the broadcast, but they say they don't.

Who is this? PM me.

There was a reunion at the end of October for everyone who marched Del/Oaklands and there had to be about 40 people just from 77 there. You missed a good party.

The alumni website is www.delasalle-drumcorps.com

Do you have the audio recording? If not, I do.

Hi, Sam.

Oh, it happened alright. I was teaching Garfield (great hornline, so-so marching, couldn't get arrested in drums) and we used to speculate what would happen if we brought Cadets horns and Oakland's drums together in '77.

Also, a point of order: I produced that drum solo CD. The reason Oakland's not there is that I was restricted to the DCI finals CD releases for source material.

Your drumline's achievement was monumental and deserves recognition. I believe Float provided a good deal of that by virtue of his subsequent success at Atlanta and Concord. Without his Oakland line his career would have played out quite differently, I believe.

Regards,

John Swartz