1977 DCI PRELIMS

Previous post is from Ironlips.

Just FYI, you can edit a post if the formatting is not quite right, you want to correct a typo or thought expressed, add something you may have forgotten the first time around, whatever. Just click on the "Edit" button and revise your post in any way you choose.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Daryl Langworthy march with Oakies that year? I know he marched with SCV for three years after his year with Oakies.

Did Daryl Langworthy march with Oakies that year?  I know he marched with SCV for three years after his year with Oakies.

name doesn't ring a bell...i marched in the drumline '76-78...what instrument did he play?

And that, I think, is a real tragedy. It's almost like they don't want to acknowledge that such a thing could happen: A corps receiving the top score in a caption, but not making finals. It was a bittersweet turn of events for Oakland, but still historic because no other corps has done it. It's really sad to me that other than the prelims recording and recap scores, there appears to be no other archived documentation of this achievement.

I thought Blue Stars did the same thing in like 1978 or 1979. anyone know?

I thought Blue Stars did the same thing in like 1978 or 1979.  anyone know?

Blue Stars made finals in 1978 and 1979. Looking at prelims recaps for other years, I don't see that same scenario of winning a caption in prelims but not making finals. For example, here's the 1980 recaps. I started in 1972 and worked my way forward through 1980, and Blue Stars made finals every year until 1980.

As far as I know, Oakland is the only corps to win a caption in prelims but not make finals. However, if another corps has done it, I'd be happy to be corrected on that point.

Edited by byline

As far as I know, Oakland is the only corps to win a caption in prelims but not make finals. However, if another corps has done it, I'd be happy to be corrected on that point.

Not a Div I thing, but this summer in Div III we had a similar situation occur.

Our hornline with Court of Honor went undefeated all season, but slipped from 3rd to fourth in the Div III "Divisional Finals" missing out on the opportunity to even compete in the Grand Finals.

Frustrating to the kids that they didn't even get to compete for the brass title since they had gone head to head with all three corps that did advance to the GF multiple times all througout the season and never lost. (That included four head to head meetings with Yamato and Oregon in the last week of the regular season.)

Such is life.

Later, A

Edited by nhsalan

The more I think about it, the more I believe DCI should do a retrospective on this event, either in an upcoming telecast or on the website. How 'bout an interview with Tom Float and a few members of the line, with photos and audio/video? I know I'm biased, since I marched Oakland, but I really believe this event is historical enough that it merits special recognition.

Mr. Armstrong,

LVK was in a similar position to CoH this summer with respect to our colorguard. As a corps, LVK was locked into 5th place DivIII, but we had taken the colorguard caption all of finals week (and by "Divisional Finals", we were soundly ahead of the 2nd place guard). Sadly we also didn't make "Grand Finals" (I ought to refrain from getting started on the inherent bias in awarding "Grand Finalist" spots), but I guess that's what you get when your musical program doesn't even come close to your visual program (and it looks like you guys had the exact opposite problem). This was particularly hard on the vets, who had taken the guard caption the previous year (as a 4th place, finalist corps), but were unable to defend it.

As a brief anecdote, those of us in our retreat party were half-joking about calling your corps up and encouraging the two of us to walk into "Grand Finals" in uniform to pick up our respective caption awards. Obviously this would've been fairly juvenile, but joking about the idea did lighten the mood a little.

On topic, I do believe Oakland is the only case of a DivI corps taking a caption and not making finals (but this was under the "tick system" where things like that were more likely to happen), and LVK and CoH are the only corps since to have done that regardless of division (and this only happened because of the changes in awarding II/III finalist spots).

The more I think about it, the more I believe DCI should do a retrospective on this event, either in an upcoming telecast or on the website. How 'bout an interview with Tom Float and a few members of the line, with photos and audio/video? I really believe this event is historical enough that it merits special recognition.

ditto

Mr. Armstrong,

LVK was in a similar position to CoH this summer with respect to our colorguard. 

On topic, I do believe Oakland is the only case of a DivI corps taking a caption and not making finals (but this was under the "tick system" where things like that were more likely to happen), and LVK and CoH are the only corps since to have done that regardless of division (and this only happened because of the changes in awarding II/III finalist spots).

Christopher,

That had to be especially hard on you guys who were vets and were defending champs..... Our kids were just excited to be "in the hunt" most of the season. By the time they got to finals however, they were quite disappointed that they didn't have the chance to even compete for the title.

Yes you are right, we were strong musically and weaker visually this year which in the end, that lack of balance was our undoing.

Best of luck this coming year.

Look forward to seeing you guys on the road.

Later, AA