Favorite Drum Major in the 70's

That was Rick "Alphonso" Elvord, the younger brother of DCI hall of famer, Jim Elvord.

"Fonz's" white aussie was slightly bent down in front like a panama hat, making him look like a combination of Shaft, Superfly, and Superman all rolled into one. His red horn-rimmed glasses also contributed to his a cool swagger that perfectly fit the Scout image then. Fonz wasn't as high energy as Joel, but he was equally cool and enthusiastic in a more laid back way.

[/quote/]

Rick is on the left and Scott Schultz (sp?)on the the right. The 1974 World Open Champs!

RalvordSschultz.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will second that Joel Alleyne as best DM, but that picture that byline threw up there made me recall a picture of Cavaliers' Tony Muscarello from the 70s.  Anybody recall that picture?? 

Are you talking about this picture?

tonymuscarello.jpg

Yes, that's it!!!!!!  Kewl--don't you think??? :)

Anybody notice Cavie drum instructor Dave Dombeck in that pic???

Or future Cavie DM Dave Flynn??

OMG--did I just reply to my own post????

:devin:

Yes, that's it!!!!!!   Kewl--don't you think??? :)

Kewl enough to be published on my personal website!!

(and I especially admire your use of the word "kewl" as opposed to "cool" because that makes anything cool three letters better!)

and yeah.. nice responding to your own post.. but that avatar is pretty flippin sweet so you're forgiven...

you're such a monkey!

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

Anybody notice Cavie drum instructor Dave Dombeck in that pic???

Or future Cavie DM Dave Flynn??

OMG--did I just reply to my own post????

:devin:

I LOVE THAT PICTURE!!!! Thanks Steph! Unfortunetly this picture was taken in 78..... a year of bad memories. :(

I gave Tony crap last year about this picture when I saw him at the Naperville show. He looks like he's taking a crap! :P

If you look just above Dombecks head you will see a bell of a soprano. I think that is my horn. Good picture of me huh?

Trivia: Who was the Drum Major for the next two years after this picture was taken?

Answer: Jeff Fiedler. Sorry. No pictures of Jeff falling off the podium b**bs

If you look just above Dombecks head you will see a bell of a soprano. I think that is my horn. Good picture of me huh?

It looks more like you than the shot of you at the end of the 79 video! I still don't believe that was you!

Trivia: Who was the Drum Major for the next two years after this picture was taken?

Answer: Jeff Fiedler. Sorry. No pictures of Jeff falling off the podium  b**bs

And you didn't even give me a chance to answer!! And don't be too sure there are no pictures of that.. I'm sure somebody ... somewhere...

LOL

Stef

I thought 27th's DM in like '76 or '77 had a cool voice, and we used to try to imitate him on the bus.

For informational purposes only, the drum major from 76, wasn't the same as 77. Jerry Boyle and Billy Ronayne were the 2-7 drum majors in 1975. Billy aged out and Jerry took over by himself for the 76 season.

For the 1977 & 1978 season we had a very blonde drum major-the X-North Star drum major that we asked to join us....John Oppedisano.

So I'm not sure if you were imitating Jerry or John. Both had Boston accents however if it was voice you were going for, I would have to say you were imitating Jerry Boyle-the 75 and 76 drum major. I can remember his 1-2-3-4 going to go into concert, and it's very distinctive. It can be heard nicely on the tape and video during both years as far as I remember . I like when he ran forward in 76 and began doing the kick step in front of the American Section...he saluted first of course!!

Are you talking about this picture?

tonymuscarello.jpg

He looks like he's in pain! :huh:

Never the less :huh::rock::whistle: A beautiful looking man from what I can tell! :huh::music::music:

The corps playing at this point correct? Does he hold this for a long time and turn around to give them a signal - an all stop? :huh: Kind of what Mad Cities DM did in what 1980?

So is this 78 or 79?

Thanks for the photos, also love the 74 World Open pic.