Advise Me!

I have 1980 in my player now.  Very wonderful stuff.  Was that the first year two-valve bugles were legal?

Thanks for all who advised!

"If you convince me of your year, you will receive, at no cost to you, the satisfaction of knowing you have made me extremely happy."

I am extremely happy that I have made you extremely happy! And weren't the people that said 80 correct? It did not disappoint I hope!

And to Spadlead, I wonder why too? :P You don't agree? At least with 80?

Actually 75 and 81 may be better for 2-7, but not overall top 12. Well, maybe not that much better, but almost!! :)

Edited by LancerFi

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everyone who said 75. But I would also get 74. Madison and SCV are worth every dime you pay. Slaughter, Brian's Song, Send in the Clowns and the Bottle Dance all on one DVD. Classic!!!!!

"If you convince me of your year, you will receive, at no cost to you, the satisfaction of knowing you have made me extremely happy." 

I am extremely happy that I have made you extremely happy!  And weren't the people that said 80 correct?  It did not disappoint I hope!

And to Spadlead, I wonder why too?  :P  You don't agree?  At least with 80?

Actually 75 and 81 may be better for 2-7, but not overall top 12.  Well, maybe not that much better, but almost!!  :)

It does not disappoint one little bit. The second corps, especially, rocks my world. :rolleyes:

Also very impressed with the brass sounds from the Bridgemen. Wow.

I also really like the vignettes. The one on judging was really aimed at a very high level of understanding. They obviously had a higher opinion of their audience's attention span in those days. And to see Jeff Fiedler as "the best drum major the Cavies ever had...it'll really be a loss when he leaves..." Well, he hasn't left yet, and the Cavies have only gained.

And a Phantom Regiment "Gum Saver?" Sounds like another thread coming on..."Worst Souvies Ever..."

74 had Anaheim Kingsmen, too. Sadly, it's the prelim show and it doesn't look as good as it would have under the lights, but the sound is pretty solid.

Too bad there's really no 72 DCI to see....I have Anaheim's 1st place show thanks to the Kingsmen Alumni but it's high cam b/w and remastered off old film so technically it sucks but for historical purposes it'll have to do. By today's standards the thing is as arcane as watching old stilted-looking film from World War One.

PS: I bought off eBay about 6 hours of old home movies of Illinois corps 60s thru 80s transferred onto DVD. Nothing much to say about it except that it sure is creepy to watch those old washed-out Super 8 and 16mm home movies that "other people" shot back then. It's almost invasive to see all the behind the scenes shots by the bus and equipment trucks and little parades here and there.....kinda spooky but totally "real" and not the polished package you see on DCI and PBS. Too bad the film wasn't clean and really worth the price but it's still "odd" enough to watch.

RON HOUSLEY

And a Phantom Regiment "Gum Saver?"  Sounds like another thread coming on..."Worst Souvies Ever..."

my first year in drum corps was 81, and the first time we had some time and phantom was at a show, i got myself over to their booth and picked up a gum saver! i just HAD to have that thing. best souvie ever is more like it. (right up there with my bridgemen banana and clothes pin).