Advise Me!

1978. Anyone of 4 corps, BD SCV PR and Scouts were in contention for the title and all 4 beat each other during the year. And you had a very good Bridgemen, Spirit, and 27th Lancers right there as well.

Edited by dans24103

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 1980 in my player now.  Very wonderful stuff.  Was that the first year two-valve bugles were legal?

Thanks for all who advised!

I believe the 2-valve horns were legalized in either '76 or '77.

i don't want to start a new thread for this topic....

if i wanted to purchase a legacy DVD that best accentuated "old school" drum corps, preferably from the 70's, what year would it be? something with lots of entertaining shows. i have DVDs from the 2000's, i have 90's drum corps (not enough of it as far as i'm concerned.... ) and i have 80's drum corps (i'm getting ready to buy 85). i need advice on the 70's, though.

I would recommend 77, and 78 to start off with, now I haven't seen any before 77, but I want to get 75 and 76 as well. I say 77, because that is the year with the added Bridgemen. They got disqualified that year, but that show was INCREDIBLE! IF you want entertainment, that is it! Also the 27th Lancers did a Rocky show that year, that I fell in love with...Blue Devils are hot that year as well!

78-My hubby marched that year with 27 so I'm biased! Plus Spirit was great this year as well...as was Bridgemen. This was their "come back" year and they had serious attitude! They were so creative that year! Plus they had two valves that year. Great horn line with great soprano solo's.

i don't want to start a new thread for this topic....

if i wanted to purchase a legacy DVD that best accentuated "old school" drum corps, preferably from the 70's, what year would it be? something with lots of entertaining shows. i have DVDs from the 2000's, i have 90's drum corps (not enough of it as far as i'm concerned.... ) and i have 80's drum corps (i'm getting ready to buy 85). i need advice on the 70's, though.

Like I said Earlier, I have 74-82. I would get 1975 first, and then 1978 because of The Scouts. Dan will tell you why.

:)

for 1980, i have three additional words why you would want that year:

stone ground seven!!!!

Without a doubt, that's the single best reason to get the 80 disc!

But, as been said the top four were excellent - all within one point ot the top score.

Looking further down the list Phantom was, well, Phantom. It's hard to pick a year that wasn't one of their best; maybe 86. Madison did Malaguena and their drum solo, New Country was pretty well written.

SCV was incredible, and royally shafted. They did the best Jupiter of any attempt. Crossmen's horn line is pretty good, especially the sops in Jack Miraculous, which is the third best reason to get 1980. Cavaliers were on the first year of their climb to the stratosphere, as was Garfield, though Garfield's rocket had more boost.

North Star is the one weakness. They were pretty solid, but I think just a bit overrated. Guardsmen were coming off a really hot season in 79, and their horn line is still solid with a good musical book.

Still, in the final analysis, any year with Stone Ground Seven in it is the best one to get.

After that it I would recommend 1975. The drill is pretty lame, except for 27th, by today's standard, but musically this was the best year (if only for the fact that the 74 DVD's don't have the top 12 on them, which rivals 75 musically.) For me, 75 is the only year with 12 shows I could listen to endlessly without loosing my mind.

Regards,

John Swartz