Happy 25th Anniversary!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, anyway we can STILL raise a glass of CS and sing "What's 3 + 2?" right??? :)

5. :P

I'm with ya brother!

Matt and Nancy, you both don't remember Garfield singing "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEN" at the end of their show in '79???????? :rolleyes:

Remember they held up a sign in Birmingham that said:

"Sorry no vocal amen due to 1 point penalty"????

Now, how about a 1981 retrospective???? :)

unc, not for nothing, but I didn't even know they were in finals when I was living in 1979......sad to say that I didn't keep track of the total 12 that made it....maybe I did and just don't remember!

Anyway, yes I knew about the Amen, however I thought Gahfield had been doing that since the 50s and 60s, I didn't think when mentioned that it was anything new for them! :( Sorry.....

unc,  not for nothing, but I didn't even know they were in finals when I was living in 1979......sad to say that I didn't keep track of the total 12 that made it....maybe I did and just don't remember! 

Anyway, yes I knew about the Amen, however I thought Gahfield had been doing that since the 50s and 60s, I didn't think when mentioned that it was anything new for them!  :(  Sorry.....

Nancy, Garfield Cadets didn't make the top 12 in 1979. I think they placed 16th or 17th. I'd have to check. :rolleyes:

Nancy, Garfield Cadets didn't make the top 12 in 1979. I think they placed 16th or 17th. I'd have to check.  :rolleyes:

I thought uncle z did a 1979 Video review? So if they placed 16th, I wonder why he added them to the list.

Oh wait, they weren't on the list, it's only until I said AAAAAAAAMen, did he ask if I was singing Gahfield, I was singing AHHHHHHHHMen to I've never, ever seen BD be boring......

See what I mean....I thought maybe they were 10th in 79....I didn't really follow that late in the season. Self absorbed, and cleaning a show where we tried to "never stop" was our main concern....that tick system will get you everytime!!

I thought uncle z did a 1979 Video review?  So if they placed 16th, I wonder why he added them to the list.

Oh wait, they weren't on the list, it's only until I said AAAAAAAAMen, did he ask if I was singing Gahfield, I was singing AHHHHHHHHMen to I've never, ever seen BD be boring......

See what I mean....I thought maybe they were 10th in 79....I didn't really follow that late in the season.  Self absorbed, and cleaning a show where we tried to "never stop" was our main concern....that tick system will get you everytime!!

Girl....you were just having a blonde moment! Wait.....you are still blonde....right? :rolleyes:

Are you talking about 1980 prelims?  Just wondering.

Yes.

I wish they had kept their equpiment for much longer in 1980...with that much talent in both left and right hands, (they didn't favor one side/hand-arm or the other-one of the signs of greatness I think) I wish they hadn't put them down so early in concert.

I agree. That's why I tend to like Spirit's '79 show a little better than '80 . . . and that's speaking mainly from a design standpoint. It was, IMO, more of a purist's show--especially in terms of the guard--but with subtle touches thrown in to show off a sort of "cute" southern style. The 1980 show was a little more blatant about it, and I guess I always prefer subtlety over the more conspicuous stuff. But, whether I liked it or not, that was the direction in which drum corps was headed.

MAN it was hot that night in Birmingham!

Something you really notice in the telecast, and which I'd forgotten, was how sunburnt we all were that year. Yet another reminder to myself that I wish I'd taken a few more precautions on that front. . . .