Happy 25th Anniversary!

yea, the crowd was on fire that night,........the only thing louder was the jet flying over the stadium during Spirit's opener.

I wanna know who's idea it was to put the red streamers on the drum sticks at the end of the show????? :sshh:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to watching the DVD with the "Z list".

What I want to know is... why didn't they produce the DVDs with the ability to view multiple camera angles? There's a lot left unseen because of the editing.

And can't they do anything to make me look less like a dork? But, I digress... :P

What I want to know is... why didn't they produce the DVDs with the ability to view multiple camera angles?  There's a lot left unseen because of the editing. 

We'll have to ask Tom Blair about that!!!! b**bs

I wanna know who's idea it was to put the red streamers on the drum sticks at the end of the show????? :sshh:

it started in '77, thought it might bump up the GE numbers.......dunno if it did, but it became tradition each year afater.

It started in '77, thought it might bump up the GE numbers.

<== trying to imagine self at a drum corps show in the late '70s and thinking to self "I'm gonna get a hot dog.....the Blue Devils show is lacking in GE"

NOPE----------CAN'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! :P

<== trying to imagine self at a drum corps show in the late '70s and thinking to self "I'm gonna get a hot dog.....the Blue Devils show is lacking in GE"

NOPE----------CAN'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! :P

:whistle: ^OO^ AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-Men..........holding the AHHHH as long as possible!! :huh:

The far right snare drummer is GGarrett!! What's up with that tall shako?

--Why didn't the mallet players get plumes??

--matched grip!!

--"Tiger of San Pedro" rules!!! Especially the conga parts!!!!

--Why are they showing the guard during the drum solo??

HEY thanks for the shout out Z !! I'll try to answer your questions:

The tall shakos ... well, just think how WE felt when we first received them in early '78. We went from the white helmets with the horse hair plume to the tall shakos. This was a decision made by Ray Hardy, our corps director at the time. He studied the period uniforms of British soldiers and discovered the battle helmets were actually the tall shako style verses the helmets worn by some regiments and cavalry units. The tall shakos were worn by British soldiers to make them appear taller and more intimidating to their adversaries . Not sure if it worked for us, though! In '78 we toured with 27th, and I thought they out-cooled us by 500 miles with that British/Aussie look. And one guy from Blue Devils at a retreat somewhere took his and another guys shako and stacked the two together and sort of had a little fun. No offense taken, it was pretty funny, actually. He was like 4 feet tall in their snare line, so it brought him up to normal person size when he did that. :P Still, I was proud to be a Guardsmen.

The mallet players were forced to surrender their plumage to other sections whose feathers had been trashed in one way or another, and we had no replacements available. I also recall them adding weight to the already heavy shako, and they would keep falling forward while the mallet players looked down at their keys, so Jim Campbell (drum instructor) KyBoshed them.

Yeah, we played match grip in '79. I did so under protest, however.

Tiger was a lot of fun to play! Especially with our great hornline and our soloists.

The guard was shown during the drum solo because they did an incredibly scary thing that year: They threw their rifles backwards overhead over the Contra line (who stood 50 yard line and held their contra's high over their heads) to the opposite side. We called it "the Bomb Scare" and it was a pretty impressive, if not insane, spectacle. Rifles flying all over the place. Quite a crowd response to that one.

I was proud to be a Guardsmen.  :)

You should be proud--your corps 0wn3d my corps in '79!!!!! :whistle:

I can only talk smack to the Cavie guys!!!!!

Edited by uncle z

The mallet players were forced to surrender their plumage to other sections whose feathers had been trashed in one way or another, and we had no replacements available.

This sounds familiar. In 1978, Oakland's entire guard had to sacrifice our plumes to the rest of the corps, because there just weren't enough to go around.

As for Guardsmen's guard, I can't think of any reason not to show them on the telecast. They were amazing, year in and year out--especially the rifle line--and did some incredibly dangerous tricks!

Edited by byline