Happy 25th Anniversary!

Well, twenty-five years ago uncle z would have gone to Blue Star banquet and seen himself on T.V. for the first time ever............................................ :)

For those of you that were unable to attend, if you have the 1979 Legacy DVD--fire it up and I'll be your personal tour guide to DCP Members who make an appearance and offer my own biased comments!!!!!! b**bs

BLUE DEVILS

There are 6 tenor players--the blonde one that is left center is Blue Devil Legend. Look for him at the end of opener front stage as the tenor line is panned. Also at the end of the show there are two tenors playing with red streamers--BDL is closest to the camera!!!

--check out the clinic Gary Gilroy puts on on the xylophone!!!

--love the tenor visual during "Los Suerte de Los Tontos" (can you read what's

on the bottom of the cymbal players' shoes???)

--I don't think I'd mess with the tymp player with the castanets!! :music:

PR

In the opener after the drum break, starting with the fugue section, mid-voices first, then sops, side #2 second from the end counting from your right is Rocketman . Also in the drum solo as the brass is going backfield in the second inverted "V" the second sop from the point of the "V" is Rocketman. And after the drum solo there are two lines of 5 sops each on side #2--middle sop in the back line!!

--"Malambo" kills--listen to the middle voices when the hornline is kneeling

with one leg extended!! Sweet!!!

--Bass drum #5 gets his own drill!!!

--Yeah, the "Rockford File" rules!!!!

--I don't think I'd mess with tymp #4!!! :huh:

SCV

I don't know any DCP members from '79 SCV. How did that happen??

--Remember the bed posts being controversial??

--Matched grip!!! with jingle sticks!!!

--Why is the camera panning OUT from the snares at the end of the drum solo?

--Is that Rick South soloing on the Bari in "Gayne Ballet"??

--Yeah, the "Bottle Dance " rules!!!

S of A

The short contra with curly hair on side #1 is jimisback! Look for him in the final park and blow in "Let It Be Me" with his horn going from side to side!! And after the last note, after the release and horns down, there is a solo shot of dav hen!!! YAY!! Face Time!!!

--WTF is up with that jet overflight!!!! GRRRRRRR!!!!

--"Georgia On My Mind" STILL makes the hair on my arm stand up!!!

--Why are they showing the guard during the drum solo??

--Tommy Lee Maddox, are you soloing up front during "SGB"????

27th Lancers

The center rifle closest to the 50 on side #2 is LancerFi!! She gets good face time in "On the 20th Century" during the sop solo when the rifle line is doing maneuvers w/o the rifle--dead center in the picture. Also in "Danny Boy" is the 4th rifle coming through the drum line doing double time, then after breaking apart, is the 3rd rifle in the echelon of the pyramid--two people back from the point person!

--Don't you miss the drum line being in kilts?? I do!!

--Check out the tympani player in "Open Wide" do a little visual before he

starts playing claves!!!! :whistle:

--"Take Five" drum solo--how kewl!! Why do they show the guard during the

drum solo???

Bridgemen

The second snare from the left is jimdugan. Check out his antics during "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy"!!!

--Brass horns rule!!!!

--Almost lost that clown costume, didn't he???

--That roto-tom guy must have been the last marching roto-tom guy--EVER!!

--jim dugan, did you lose your snare scoop in "Spanish Dreams"? 0wn3d!!!

--ONE MORE TIME!!! (did you see the Unknown Comic???)

--Man, do I miss the Bridgemen!!!! Don't you???

Guardsmen

The far right snare drummer is GGarrett!! What's up with that tall shako?

--Why didn't the mallet players get plumes??

--matched grip!!

--"Tiger of San Pedro" rules!!! Especially the conga parts!!!!

Madison Scouts

I don't know any DCP Members from '79 Scouts. But I DO see that Mike Chiodo is the snare player on the far left, Tim Hummel is the 3rd snare player from the right, Wayne Reynolds is on the xylo and Dan Veerheusen is the DM!!

--Kewl stereophonic effect in "The Sorcerer and The Latin"!!

--Nice hat salute in "Bohemian Rhapsody" :)

--I wanna hear Madison's horn line play Garfield's arrangement of "Pieces of

Dreams"!!!!!

North Stah

I don't know of any NS '79 alums who are DCP Members?? What up?

--OK, how many times am I gonna have to hear "Children of Sanchez" now?

--Chrome Wall rules!!!

--Jerry Noonan is the god of sop soloists!!

Blue Stars

Mallet line--far left is eggbert!! Second from right is uncle z :)

1:35 into "St Louis Blues", after the camera pans the corps from right to left, somebody gets some face time!!! :huh: And just before the first horn solo in "Birdland", Eggbert gets face time!!! It rules to be a prima donna mallet player!!!! Contrajohn is in there somewhere, but he's not a mallet player, so we'll ignore him!!!!

--Malibu, at the end of "St. Louis Blues", the second snare player from the left

is David Snead.

--Why are they showing the guard during the drum solo???

--Cool circle of flags, huh?? I'm in there!!!

Cavaliers

The second snare from the left (until reversed in "Children of Sanchez") is TRBlair. During the drum solo, you'll see a close up of a guard guy spinning his flag and dressing the line while looking to the right. That's deftguy!!

Of course the DM is Fiedler. And after the last note of "Children of Sanchez", there is a face shot of a soprano with glasses on. That's dc oldtimer!!

--Isn't that Mike Pratt on the xylophone??

--Check out the tymp with the maracas in "Cuban Fire Suite"!!! :P

--Future drum instructor Dave Dombeck sneaks a peek at the cameraman

at the end of the drum solo!!! Busted!!!

--PM me if you wanna know the alternative title of the drum solo--before the

familiar notes of "Sambandrea Swing" start!!

Troopers

No comment here. 15 minutes of silence for my friends from '79 Crossmen! ^0^ ^0^

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, if I left you out, I apologize!!!

Just add in your own camera time, or feel free to add your own comment--like "Why is Spirit using 27th's podium??"

I refuse to retract the Crossmen statement, though!

Yes that's my scoop laying on the ground.

We had those heavy ludwig's and had to duct tape them to the drum.

Right before we went into the stadium we put our drums down and I leaned over to wish some one luck and my drum rolled a bit. I could start to feel it wobble in the opener and sure enough, we back up and there's my scoop laying on the ground.

It was a one tenth penalty. After that the guys broke my chops by constantly asking me 'Whats the scoop Dugan?

On a side note, The crowd was unbelievable that night. Legion field was packed and crazy. The most memorable performance of my drum corps career.

After that the guys broke my chops by constantly asking me 'Whats the scoop, Dugan?

Ohhhhhh, I don't know if that's the right thing to let uncle z know!!!!!!! ^0^

Thanks uncle z for 15 minutes of silence for the '79 Crossmen. However we did get to perform in exhibition....I know.....whoopie! :whistle:

Ahaaaa.....I'll have to tell Snead he needs to order that DVD.......although he doesn't talk much about the Blue Stars year.....only the year he marched with Spirit (1980).

Good post...you'll have to do the same for your other years.......then you can pick out Malibu. :huh:

The short contra with curly hair on side #1 is jimisback! Look for him in the final park and blow in "Let It Be Me" with his horn going from side to side!!

I gave wrong info. It was actually in Sweet Georgia Brown that I went side to side. And I was the closest Contra to the camera on Let it be me. I almost hit the ground on that one.

I was the closest Contra to the camera on Let it be me. I almost hit the ground on that one.

I saw that!!!! Your chiropractor must be a happy guy!!!! :)

OK, where are you when the contras come front during the sop solos in "Nuttville" and do the leg thing??