Debunking the '75 Muchacho Mystique?

Before you all jump down my throat, please note the question mark (?). I ran across this article written by Steve Fain in the September '75 Drum Corps World, specifically addressing their show at the World Open on August 9th, a mere week before finals.

"An 86.55 tonight put the Hawthorne Muchachos in fourth place. Hawthorne has a big show this year and are very popular on the east coast. Their horns are the heart of their show, and indeed are one of the finest horn sections in the country. Unfortunately, their drill just doesn't have a national championship written on it, and so far they are receiving inflated M&M GE scores for it. Tonight they received a 9.3 in M&M GE. In my opinion their drill has nowhere the M&M GE of the Blue Devils, Lancers, or Vanguard, who received9.5, 9.6, and 9.7 respectively, but should have been closer to the Kilt's and Phantom Regiment's 8.8 and 8.9. The same thing is also happening for the Muchachos in music analysis. While their horns' intonation is very fine, I don't believe their show is as difficult as the Vanguard, nor are they as musical as either Vanguard or Blue Devils-their finesse is too much volume too often. They were awarded a 9.3 tonight in MA while the Vanguard received a 9.0. The Kilts were awarded an 8.7 in MA with a horn show that except for volume compares similarly with the Muchachos. This is not to detract from their show, however, for I enjoyed it very much. Of particular note is their very fine soprano soloist and an excellent music arrangement of Resphigi's Pines of Rome."

It appears not everyone was as taken with the Muchachos as one might think. Remember, this was not my opinion.

Your thoughts?

Rocketman - 1975 was a very good year

ampssuck

Well, we beat them by 5 points that night, and less than a week later, lost by 2 or so points at CYO, and then supposedly lost at DCI Prelims.

I could never fathom that.

Well, we beat them by 5 points that night, and less than a week later, lost by 2 or so points at CYO, and then supposedly lost at DCI Prelims.

I could never fathom that.

Legend:

Well, ya think something like that could happen today? A little regional bias perhaps? Just a thought!

Rocketman - in 4th place, no wait, 1st place.

ampssuck

one of my all time favorites horn wise. WOW what a hornline.

:blink:  :rolleyes:  :huh:

Hello Hooker!!!!!!!!! b**bs

Legend:

Well, ya think something like that could happen today? A little regional bias perhaps? Just a thought!

Rocketman - in 4th place, no wait, 1st place.

ampssuck

I'm not sure if it's a/the mystique, but I do know that I loved their show, from the hornline to the guard....it was a great show I thought. Without going thru scores, etc. I loved them in person, live! No mystique there, just what I enjoyed, however I enjoyed many, many corps in 1975.