72 Kingsmen were not the best corps that year!

So true!

I would like to add I never said AK wasn't a great corps or didn't deserve to win that night! IMO under the current system one bad performance wouldn't cost you a title, even if it was finals night and that's sad.

True, you never said they didn't deserve to win that night or that they weren't a great corps. Sorry if I put words in your mouth. :)

With the three ties in the 90's I'm not so sure upsets can't still happen. I think since it is the last show of the year (usually) and such, everyone is usually pumped and up for it that night. It's THE ONLY championship and everyone knows what's at stake.

Edited by shawn craig

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, you never said they didn't deserve to win that night or that they weren't a great corps. Sorry if I put words in your mouth.  :)

With the three ties in the 90's I'm not so sure upsets can't still happen. I think since it is the last show of the year (usually) and such, everyone is usually pumped and up for it that night. It's THE ONLY championship and everyone knows what's at stake.

That's why the tic system was great. Anyone could win any night by what was on the field by the members, not a designer trying to sway a judge to look deeper into the show.

The 1972 SCV were in fact, the best Corps in The country.

I will share a similar story from 1967 later.

Mr.Golden Turkey Lurkey

GO Patriots............

Thanks Boston1977!

What made our loss in 72 so sad was because it was the age out year for many of the corps original members including Dan Vannatta and Mike Moxley. If memory serves me correctly I believe it was Wayne’s last year also. Oh well, at least they got to experience winning the 71 VFW championships. Too bad the DCI generation gives no credit to the pre-DCI champs (including the SCV organization that never lists 71 as a championship year).

I know this is going to start a war, but the 72 Kingsmen were not the best corps that year. SCV went into finals undefeated! We beat the Kingsmen by over 3 points in prelims. I'm not saying they didn't deserve to win that night, we marched a terrible show! Bye the way in those days there were shows after finals and the next night we faced and beat the Kingsmen again. Sure goes to show how one crappy performance can skew history!

Paul

Dude, what's your point? Let it go. You're gonna end up at the end of the bar with a big ###ed beehive mumbling to yourself, "If it were today, we would have won, fer cheeeeerist's sake!" The show sucked. Stuff was falling off all over the field. Anaheim was frigg'n on, and I mean on. Let 'em have it. They earned it. And you bring up the point, quite often I might add, that based on today's judging SCV would have won. Doesn't that kinda suck? DCI should be something earned - that night. I don't care if you are the 12th place corps and a light shines down from the sky and you put on the absolute perfect performance, you deserve to win because you put on that performance.

Dude, go win DCA, it'll make you feel better.

Thanks Boston1977!

What made our loss in 72 so sad was because it was the age out year for many of the corps original members including Dan Vannatta and Mike Moxley. If memory serves me correctly I believe it was Wayne’s last year also. Oh well, at least they got to experience winning the 71 VFW championships. Too bad the DCI generation gives no credit to the pre-DCI champs (including the SCV organization that never lists 71 as a championship year).

"Championship Year(s)":

1970 was ALSO a "Championship" year, as SCV won the American Legion Junior National Championship at Portland Oregon that season.

In 1972 Santa Clara (prior to DCI) won all but two contests (that I know of) suffering losses to the LaCrosse Blue Stars in Denver (Drums Along the Rockies) and a contest in California durring the West Coast "Swing".

Elphaba

Dude, what's your point? Let it go. You're gonna end up at the end of the bar with a big ###ed beehive mumbling to yourself, "If it were today, we would have won, fer cheeeeerist's sake!" The show sucked. Stuff was falling off all over the field. Anaheim was frigg'n on, and I mean on. Let 'em have it. They earned it. And you bring up the point, quite often I might add, that based on today's judging SCV would have won. Doesn't that kinda suck? DCI should be something earned - that night. I don't care if you are the 12th place corps and a light shines down from the sky and you put on the absolute perfect performance, you deserve to win because you put on that performance.

Dude, go win DCA, it'll make you feel better.

Mike if you would take the time to read all my posts you'll notice you're preaching to the choir. The reason for my orginal post was because of all the people voting the 72 Kingsmen as best in the decade. They were the best that night, but certainly not the decade! Oh to the cat who says we lost to Blue Stars in Denver, I believe it was a tie (could be wrong since that was over thirty years ago).

Uhhhh.......

(backing away from keyboard, glancing across the room at my 10 foot pole)

Everybody was good that night.

Gotta go.

[Dude, go win DCA, it'll make you feel better.

-----------------------

I've gone to DCA 3 times now and it's GOOD ... and I've finally figured out that you can win without "winning". DCA and DCI aren't exactly the same BUT you really can't tell the difference from the 50 with a couple of thousand screaming fans in your face. I highly recommend it!!! Hey Mike -- we're recruiting drummers. Hey Paul -- we're recruiting low brass. I know you guys have still got the chops.

:)

PS: I am a huge AK fan -- I wore that 8-track out!

Edited by jojo

-----------------------

I've gone to DCA 3 times now and it's GOOD ... and I've finally figured out that you can win without "winning". DCA and DCI aren't exactly the same BUT you really can't tell the difference from the 50 with a couple of thousand screaming fans in your face. I highly recommend it!!! Hey Mike -- we're recruiting drummers. Hey Paul -- we're recruiting low brass. I know you guys have still got the chops.

:)

PS: I am a huge AK fan -- I wore that 8-track out!

Jonnette. So glad to hear your voice. How yea been? I would love to march this year, in fact Dennis suggested I do it after TOR last year, but I am so busy with work, family and training that I couldn't really give it the commitment it deserves. If I still lived up there though I would so get into that weekend corps, the one playing old drum corps tunes and Phillip Glass - that would rock.

Jonnette, IM me or e-mail me I would love to hear what you have been up too.

Oh and Paul, my post was mainly tounge and cheek - you're so tence.

Edited by Tansea