The top 12 cinema extravaganza

~G~ our opener in '81 was "Explosion" and our production number was "Bustling"....never mind what was printed on the DCI Album cover.....that was an "oops" on their part.  :P

Yes, we won the VFW Nationals in Philly that year. They gave each of us members a T-shirt that said "Crossmen 1981 VFW National Champions." I still have mine.  :worthy:

I do remember in VFW prelims we didn't take it serious because there weren't other top 12 corps competing....boy did we get reemed out by our staff! Needless to say, our finals performance was much better!  b**bs

LOL, ya' gotta love them typos, I remember laughing so hard at that mistake when my friends and I received the albums...LOL

I loved the 81 show, and we marched on the same field that night in VFW.....yes a much more "improved" performance at night !!

~G~

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, ya' gotta love them typos, I remember laughing so hard at that mistake when my friends and I received the albums...LOL

I loved the 81 show, and we marched on the same field that night in VFW.....yes a much more "improved" performance at night !!

~G~

So tell me ~G~ who you were marching with back then.....you can PM me. B)

Let's see......

VFW National Championships

Philadelphia, Pa

Tuesday August 18, 1981

1 Crossmen 86.55

2 St. Croix Rivermen 71.35

3 Alliance (MA) 68.05

4 Imperial Guard 63.80

5 Southwind 61.90

6 Bluecoats 61.60

7 Saginaires 58.10

8 Patriots 54.15

Edited by Malibu

Malibu- hmm...1980 Crossmen....assymetric drill with long capes and a horn line "left about" and head chop while in a company front.....(how's THAT for a memory!!)

Your drill designer was ahead of his time.

Malibu- hmm...1980 Crossmen....assymetric drill with long capes and a horn line "left about" and head chop while in a company front.....(how's THAT for a memory!!)

Your drill designer was ahead of his time.

I'm impressed craiga! Tony Smith was our drill designer both 1979 & 1980. He also wrote for Boston Crusaders at that time. In 1981, Tony started working with Blue Devils as a consultant. I loved his Boston accent! :worthy:

I agree he had some pretty wild ideas and really didn't get the credit he deserved.

I'm impressed craiga! Tony Smith was our drill designer both 1979 & 1980. He also wrote for Boston Crusaders at that time. In 1981, Tony started working with Blue Devils as a consultant. I loved his Boston accent!  :worthy:

I agree he had some pretty wild ideas and really didn't get the credit he deserved.

Very true!!! Tony was ahead of his time with the Planets drill. I know we Bari's had a good time teasing our DM, Jill, everytime we got into Krypton. Was interesting to see her response at the shows!!!

Still think the '81 show kicked ###!!! Jerry Kelsey wrote some great parts for the hornline that year. All we needed was about another week and I think we would have definitely moved up a couple of spots. We were just getting good!!! We came along way that year from getting our ### kicked in the beginning of the season. Hey Malibu...remember that all day rehearsal in Memphis when Vinnie checked himself out of the hospital? Had to have been the worst day of our lives, but the next show out we redeemed ourselves and jumped up in score about 10 points. What a year!!!!!

92 Xmen made my list, but my favorite is 82. I don't think it is a slam dunk that the Xmen will make it. I realize I could stack the odds in favor of my corps by voting for multiple years of the same corps, but I'm sticking with the one vote per corps. That is making it really tough for me. I have an SCV vote and a Cadets vote that are locks for me in the 80s. Now I am having to choose between Suncoast, 27th Lancers and Spirit for that 3rd vote. Tough call!

BD, SCV, Cadets, Cavies, Madison and Phantom are locks. Anybody else could be shutout IMO.

I voted 92... My favorite Crossmen year, althought I would love to see 90 or 91 in there as well. I think Star's a lock for the 90's, that leaves 2 spots left for Xmen and somebody else...