Massachusetts Drum Corps Question

I can recall going to shows in Lynn in 1979 and seeing basically entire shows with Massachusetts drum corps. Of course, in those days 27 and Northstar were headliners. Boston was very small but very good. The Rockland Defenders were (at least in my memory!) also good and almost full size. I don't remember if Spectra was still around...I think by then they merged with the Heightsmen to become Alliance. I also recall a corps called the Amvet Brigadiers....they seemed a bit like Boston in terms of style, and I recall them being a large corps as well. Also, I remember a really cool all-girl corps from Salem called Arbella, and I seem to recall them also being close to full. Also, how about the Middlesex County Guardsmen and the Diplomats?

If I have any of these wrong, let me know. :) I guess my point is that in 1979 (or so), you could literally have a 8 corps, "Open Class" show in the Bay State with all Massachusetts corps, and this doesn't even include the dozens of little guys in Eastern Mass.

I was telling a friend the other day about the number of Mass. drum corps alums out there.....it really is mind-blowing. It seems that except for BAC and East Coast Jazz, which I think is a dsecendent of the Diplomats, the rest are no longer with us. Am I leaving anybody out?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can recall going to shows in Lynn in 1979 and seeing basically entire shows with Massachusetts drum corps.  Of course, in those days 27 and Northstar were headliners. Boston was very small but very good.  The Rockland Defenders were (at least in my memory!) also good and almost full size.  I don't remember if Spectra was still around...I think by then they merged with the Heightsmen to become Alliance.  I also recall a corps called the Amvet Brigadiers....they seemed a bit like Boston in terms of style, and I recall them being a large corps as well.  Also, I remember a really cool all-girl corps from Salem called Arbella, and I seem to recall them also being close to full.  Also, how about the Middlesex County Guardsmen and the Diplomats? 

If I have any of these wrong, let me know.  :)  I guess my point is that in 1979 (or so), you could literally have a 8 corps, "Open Class" show in the Bay State with all Massachusetts corps, and this doesn't even include the dozens of little guys in Eastern Mass.   

I was telling a friend the other day about the number of Mass. drum corps alums out there.....it really is mind-blowing.  It seems that except for BAC and East Coast Jazz, which I think is a dsecendent of the Diplomats, the rest are no longer with us.  Am I leaving anybody out?

If you are only talking about 79, then I'm not sure if the Jeanettes, (Jeannettes?) the very talented all female corps from Lynn was still around!?

Also summer guard/drill teams...I only remember that going until about 77 maybe? St. Anthony's Everett were the runners at DCI 80...maybe 79 as well!

Lancer Fi, do you remember 27 doing a DCE show in Saco, Maine in or around '82? It would have been a daytime show, and I think I remember Bridgemen and Crossmen also being there....

Lancer Fi, do you remember 27 doing a DCE show in Saco, Maine in or around '82? It would have been a daytime show, and I think I remember Bridgemen and Crossmen also being there....

No, I only remember some very great camps in 80 in Damarascotta, Maine.....we honed our skills those weekends in the woods!! :P

Not only were there an abundance of Class "A" corps - but there were many Class "B" types as well. Right off the top of my head:

The Valley Aires from Northbridge

The Joanettes from Leominister

The Citations - still around

Sir Thomas More Cadets

The Weymouth Sancians - formerly with St. Francis Church

The Somerville Cavaliers

The Middlesex County Guardsmen

The Melrose Princemen

Several of these corps ended up merging to form others.

Guest DrumCorpFan
Not only were there an abundance of Class "A" corps - but there were many Class "B" types as well. Right off the top of my head:

The Valley Aires from Northbridge

The Joanettes from Leominister

The Citations - still around

Sir Thomas More Cadets

The Weymouth Sancians - formerly with St. Francis Church

The Somerville Cavaliers

The Middlesex County Guardsmen

The Melrose Princemen

Several of these corps ended up merging to form others.

Checking my signature, there were the Sharpshooters, Burlington Citations who still might exist, I.C. Queensmen.

Alliance came after Spectra if I recall correctly, but it was all during that time, maybe '80 or '81. 27th Lancers were not a member of the Eastern Mass Circuit, but the Lancer Cadets were.

Did anyone mention the Spartans from Nashua, NH?

There were a bunch more as well, but I can't remember them right now. There also a number of drill teams at that time as well.

Guest DrumCorpFan

I don't recall any shows in northern New England at all. We did have a camp in Vermont.

As an instructor and FMM, I don't ever recall having a contest in ME. As Lancer Fi said, we did have weekend camps in Damariscotta in 1980 and 1981.

We may have had an exhibition, but living in Southern Maine now, I have no memory of having a contest up here.

I don't recall any shows in northern New England at all. We did have a camp in Vermont.

Wow - I must have slept through that weekend. The only time I remember going through Vermont was to Montreal and I think we actually went via NY to have a few shows there.

I'll stand corrected if someone has some dates and scores.

Just checked....summer of 1982 had two Open Class DCE/DCI shows in Maine. Late June was at Dr. Hill Stadium at Thornton Academy in Saco. Early August was an evening show at Bowdoin College in Brunswick. The first show included Bridgemen, Crossmen, Garfield Cadets, and Northstar. The second show included Boston, Blue Devils, and Garfield, among others. (I remember this clearly because I went up to Bowdoin early to watch Garfield rehearse....they were working on Rocky Point Holiday). Boston had just gotten back from Europe and their show still wasn't done. Maybe these guys were all on their way up to Montreal....

I really thought that 27 was in the first show, but I could be mistaken.

I think that was it for major Maine drum corps shows until 1986, when 20th Maine hosted two shows the same day in Fairfield, Maine....an EMASS show during the day and a DCE show at night, which DID include Lancers.