Massachusetts Drum Corps Question

I think that was it for major Maine drum corps shows until 1986, when 20th Maine hosted two shows the same day in  Fairfield, Maine....an EMASS show during the day and a DCE show at night, which DID include Lancers.

My last year with the corps was 1983. I do remember the 20th Maine - and know some band people up here that marched with them. The corps could have travelled up here. I can ask Georgie Jr. if he remembers - anything !!!! b**bs

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really thought that 27 was in the first show, but I could be mistaken.

I think that was it for major Maine drum corps shows until 1986, when 20th Maine hosted two shows the same day in  Fairfield, Maine....an EMASS show during the day and a DCE show at night, which DID include Lancers.

I remember that show, it was in June, I actually marched in the corps that year. I checked on corpreps, and it says it was on June 14, 1986. :) But this can verify it for you. It's from corpreps.

Saturday June 14, 1986

Fairfield ME DCE

Position Corps Score

1 27th Lancers 62.200

2 Malden Diplomats 48.100

3 20th Maine Regiment 43.600

4 St. Julie Transit 33.400

5 Suburbanettes 31.200

6 Marauders 15.500

7 Chrystalines 13.900

Edited by Lancerlady

I actually taught 20th Maine all three years of its existence. We called the corps together a week before that show in '86 to tell them that our recently hired fundraiser had just been arrested by the FBI on warrants in three states. After thinking that we had tons of money, we discovered a week before the season start that we were dead broke. The staff agreed to work for free, and the kids were told to make 1986 count, because this would be it!

We finished in the top three or four in Madison in Class A, and actually made the advance to Open class prelims!

72 members and a GREAT 38 piece hornline....arranged by Robert Smith and Terry White....Jack Cash as percussion caption head.

I can recall going to shows in Lynn in 1979 and seeing basically entire shows with Massachusetts drum corps.  Of course, in those days 27 and Northstar were headliners. Boston was very small but very good.  The Rockland Defenders were (at least in my memory!) also good and almost full size.  I don't remember if Spectra was still around...I think by then they merged with the Heightsmen to become Alliance.  I also recall a corps called the Amvet Brigadiers....they seemed a bit like Boston in terms of style, and I recall them being a large corps as well.  Also, I remember a really cool all-girl corps from Salem called Arbella, and I seem to recall them also being close to full.  Also, how about the Middlesex County Guardsmen and the Diplomats? 

If I have any of these wrong, let me know.  :)  I guess my point is that in 1979 (or so), you could literally have a 8 corps, "Open Class" show in the Bay State with all Massachusetts corps, and this doesn't even include the dozens of little guys in Eastern Mass.   

I was telling a friend the other day about the number of Mass. drum corps alums out there.....it really is mind-blowing.  It seems that except for BAC and East Coast Jazz, which I think is a dsecendent of the Diplomats, the rest are no longer with us.  Am I leaving anybody out?

I was a member of the Brigadiers. I have never seen any mention of the corps. Thanks! We did have about a 100 members that year. In 1980 we were smaller but placed 3rd in the Class A championship in Alabama. The corps folded after the 1981 season. Other corps around were the Socialites, Cavaliers (Somerville).

I recall them as wearing dark green, I think, with cadetish uniforms. Their color guard (especially the rifle line) had a very obvious BAC style....I think maybe Helen K (now T) might have been teaching their rifles.

Anyway, I recall them as being a good corps to watch....from Randolph, Mass, I think.....(GOD, that was 25 years ago!) :)

I was a member of the Brigadiers. I have never seen any mention of the corps. Thanks! We did have about a 100 members that year. In 1980 we were smaller but placed 3rd in the Class A championship in Alabama. The corps folded after the 1981 season. Other corps around were the Socialites, Cavaliers (Somerville).

Hi, Allow me to make a couple of clarifications: In 1979, Spectra was in the second year of their 2 year existance (I was a member) before they merged with Heightsmen. (marched in Pembroke Imperials until 77, then Spectra, 78-79 then North Star 80, 81).

The Brigs looking like Boston I think was no accident. Many of their instructors were Crusaders or Crusader alum.

There aren't many corps left in Mass but here are the ones in Eastern Ma: Boston Crusaders, Crusaders Seniors, East Coast Jazz, Citations, Light Brigade, Mass Brass, and I'm proud to tell you that the Imperials have been resurrected. I am the Director!

Guest DrumCorpFan
As an instructor and FMM, I don't ever recall having a contest in ME. As Lancer Fi said, we did have weekend camps in Damariscotta in 1980 and 1981.

We may have had an exhibition, but living in Southern Maine now, I have no memory of having a contest up here.

Wow - I must have slept through that weekend. The only time I remember going through Vermont was to Montreal and I think we actually went via NY to have a few shows there.

I'll stand corrected if someone has some dates and scores.

It was the camp before the season started I believe, or before first tour. We went up to become "tour ready." There were no shows, just a camp.