• 27th Lancers
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Cavaliers
    • Madison Scouts
    • Velvet Knights
    • Muchachos
    • Spirit of Atlanta
    • Other

Okay y'all, I'll ask my husband to help you out here, he marched in 78 maybe he can help you clear it up! :)

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had 12 rifles in 1979 with Darlene (R.I.P.) as the 2nd drum major as you mentioned, dressed in all khaki.....You won't believe this, but I don't remember you being on tour in 79 & 80, did you miss a tour?

Your memory is not failing - sort of. After I "aged out" in 77, I taught the Valley Airs in 78 and 79. GB asked me to teach starting in Dec 79 and I stayed thru Nats in 83. I do remember those details as you describe them however having been close enough - yet far enough away to not get in trouble. And of course with my dear friends JC and JM.

What happened to my brain?  Too many years of snappy head moves in that heavy hat in 2-7 maybe?

Not from what I remember at the Wall....... b**bs

I am sure you are right. When in 1979 did the corps get those custom made Rogers lobstah red drums and harnesses?

What little my husband remembers about the drums, after marching half a season of marching half of mixed drums in (78), a bunch of white Rogers drums showed up in time for finals. This is coming from his memory. Hope it helps. :) He's thinking that the red drums of 79 were Slingerland, but of course Charlie would know better! :) (If he remembers all those details).

Edited by Lancerlady

What little my husband  remembers about the drums, after marching half a season of marching half of mixed drums in (78), a bunch of white Rogers drums showed up in time for finals. This is coming from his memory. Hope it helps. :) He's thinking that the red drums of 79 were Slingerland, but of course Charlie would know better! :) (If he remembers all those details).

Thanks.

I do know the 79 red drums were Rogers. I marched in the Columbus Day Parade in 79 with a set of (5) Rogers toms. (The corps had tris in 78 and went back to tris in 80) We were going to use the Rogers for the Olympics, but Ward Durrette of Slingerland made an offer we could not refuse - therefore - we used Slingerand exclusively. Scott S and I stayed up all night in Lake Placid and assembled brand new snare carriers. The tom line used the pipe carriers until they got the fiberglass harnesses, and the bass used snare drum slings.

I know the corps used a set of black Slingerland TDR-100's that were formerly owned by the Freelancers. I thought they used them in 1978 - it could have been for a short time in 79 until they got the set of Rogers.

27th guard in action photo!

Lancers-36.jpg

LancerLegend, if you look 1/2 down the file on the right hand side you'll see Darlene in her red jacket clapping-timing just behind the flag file on the #2 side.....she changed to khaki around 2nd tour. I believe that this picture and the one of us in the pyramid with black snares is indeed the same day, as the black drums are in both, and Darlene is where she is supposed to be......

There's really nothing to confirm, I know what year it was, but I just thought I'd point out specifially where our Darla was at the time.........

So, where did you march ? Alliance ?? Defenders ?? BAC ?? North Star ??

etc...etc......LOL

~G~

Regardless of where i marched i still have my opinion. I was lucky to march and later teach a national champion. 27th was the best technical guard ever (my opinion) however i thought that they lacked personality and flare.

Thanks.

I do know the 79 red drums were Rogers. I marched in the Columbus Day Parade in 79 with a set of (5) Rogers toms. (The corps had tris in 78 and went back to tris in 80) We were going to use the Rogers for the Olympics, but Ward Durrette of Slingerland made an offer we could not refuse - therefore - we used Slingerand exclusively. Scott S and I stayed up all night in Lake Placid and assembled brand new snare carriers. The tom line used the pipe carriers until they got the fiberglass harnesses, and the bass used snare drum slings.

I know the corps used a set of black Slingerland TDR-100's that were formerly owned by the Freelancers. I thought they used them in 1978 - it could have been for a short time in 79 until they got the set of Rogers.

Wow! The 1979 picture with the black drums, is a mind twist! :blink:

1978 started out with the black drums, I don't remember what the brands were. But as more drummers came on board, some ended up with white drums and it looked tacky. They made some covers, until they got the all white Rogers, which must've been borrowed, since they didn't show up again in 79. :blink:

There was a tight budget in 78, as at first there were only 3 contras, Porky, Vinnie, and myself, and when the MacEndorrfer (sp?) brothers came on there weren't even any hats for them. They had to wear Tams until we found some more Garelnicks(sp?).

:OT: But oh well it's fun isn't it?

27th was the best technical guard ever (my opinion) however i thought that they lacked personality and flare.

:blink::blink: I guess that's why they were ALWAYS the crowd pleasers uh?

Edited by Lancerlady