Historic videos

MikeD

The early B&W videos made by Charlie and Jackie Haas are now available on DVD...and the quality is GREAT. I just purchased the Garfield 71 (WO) and 72 (Blue Rock show) shows from them, so I know how good the quality is.

They have a selection of both junior and senior...

Their children marched in Blue Rock, as I understand it, so they ended up video-taping a few shows that Blue Rock performed at between 70-72. In 71, for example, it appears that they taped the Danny Thomas and World Open...they have the entire 71 WO finals available!

Here's the link to the webpage for the videos - http://www.drumcorpsvideos.com

Their daughter Christina is now taking over the business, fyi....

Cost....$15/corps plus $4.95 shipping...up to 4 performances on a single DVD.

Mike

Awesome! The tape of WO '71 that I have was probably the 40th time it was copied and most of it looks like little fuzz balls moving around on the field. This DVD should be much better and one I'll treasure forever.

Mike: thanks for this! I'll be doing some serious shopping with these good folks....

....too bad that it's so hard to find west coast and especially SoCal vids from back in the 60s and early 70s. I'd love to have 71 Diplomats, early Lakewood Ambassadors, Senoritas...pretty much the whole gang if I could get them.

Have 71 Kingsmen already, thanks to alumni friends.

Again, Mike, thanks for this information.....Maggie appears pretty stoked as well!

RON HOUSLEY

Got my copy of '70 Westshoremen over the weekend and very pleased. Considering the state of technology in 1970 the DVD is a lot better than I hoped for.

Heh, oldest show I ever saw but I have recordings going back to '54.

From the shameless self promotion department:

Just in case you have never been to www.beanman.net or have not visited recently, The 35 minute video titled, "Once more in '94" is now posted in windows screaming media format. We put this together after the 27th Lancers alumni appeared at the 1994 DCI in Foxboro.

The complete history, "Two-Seven" is still posted there as well. That runs about an hour.

Due to the length of these streaming videos, a broadband connection is a must. Dial-up just won't cut it. And to answer your question right now, I will not, can not, ain't gonna, no way, offer any of these shows on tape or DVD.

I hope to add some rare 2-7 Mp3 files to the site when I get around to it.

Check out the underwater stuff while you are there.

CHRIS HAAS!!! Your vids arrived today as I predicted they would and I am totally stoked, blown away as it were, by the quality and sound on these old relics!!! Ebert has two great big Sissy Hankshaw-sized thumbs (Tom Robbins owes me a buck) up...WAY UP!

The "Little Man", SF Chronicle readers will get this one, jumped way the heck off his chair and pounded his palms together hard enough to hear bones crack and blisters pop! The fans are throwing Fresno Fern panties, obtainable, by the way, at http://www.cafepress.com/fresnoferns

I got 71 Madison, 71 Anaheim and 71 Casper at World Open.....and can see stuff! that I couldn't see on other vids of these same corps....bless you and your parents, Chris!

This is unsolicited testimony that you won't be dissapointed with these historic videos......I'm gonna order me up a bunch more and lock myself in my room and have a Chris Haas Historic Drum Corps Filmfest: refreshments and all. And not come out till I've seen 'em all a couple times at least.....probably not as long as Howard Hughes coulda done it, but I'll give 'er a whirl!

Gotta get back to Troopers.......Wagon Wheel is coming up! Cowboys vs. Indians into sunburst HTWWW.......didja know that the original drill drawing for this is on The Troopers website?

Said this many times: Madison and Troopers in 1971 changed my entire previous way of thinking about the possibilities of drum corps.

Thanks again for the vids, Chris! You're aces in my book!

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3