Favorite Street Beat

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1974, Fred Sanford arranged a piece based on an Anthony Cirone piece entitled, "Tryptich." We played it at the PAS convention that year and played it the various clinics we gave from time to time. Also from time to time, we would play it going off the field. It had the unique quality of not just being some repetitive rhythm patterns, but of being and actual piece of music. If anyone remembers this and has a recording of it, I have been looking for it for a long time and we need to talk.

Also, when it was my privilaged to march in the Tournement of Roses parade we did it to "Electric Wheelchair", that was awesome.

Edited by Tansea

• 1 month later...
In 1974, Fred Sanford arranged a piece based on an Anthony Cirone piece entitled, "Tryptich." We played it at the PAS convention that year and played it the various clinics we gave from time to time. Also from time to time, we would play it going off the field. It had the unique quality of not just being some repetitive rhythm patterns, but of being and actual piece of music. If anyone remembers this and has a recording of it, I have been looking for it for a long time and we need to talk.

Also, when it was my privilaged to march in the Tournement of Roses parade we did it to "Electric Wheelchair", that was awesome.

Dude... remember the 27th bass drum beat going off the field at CYO's in 77 at Harverd Staduim... that was cool!

Glassmen did Bohdisatva, Larry Lerch  arranged it, in the early 80s. Very cool.

Bluewater Buccaneers did the drum intro from Legend of the One Eyed Sailor that people on the streets seemed to like a lot. I arranged it and I purposely stayed away from the Devils arrangement relying more on how Steve Gadd played it.

Regards,

John Swartz

Yeah-we used that when I was still marching. Larry always wrote some cool stuff. In 79 or 80 he worked up an arrangement of the original theme from "Johnny Quest"(complete with brass charts) that was REALLY HOT but for some reason we never used it for anything but a warmup.

Cavalier's bass drum beat coming on and off the field, "Iowa" (Larry McCormick classic!).

As with any corps that is as old as the Cavaliers, there is always a story behind a tradition:

(from the Cavalier website)

Here is some of the history -- as remembered by FMMs Wayne Karge and Paul Milano.

Wayne Karge -- "The drum beat was not written by any of the instructors. A bunch of us were hangin around the hall one night and a couple of the bass drummers were noodling with bass drum beaters on either the floor or one of the tables. They just sort of came up with the beat that night.

The next weekend when we were leaving the field they used it. The crowd immediately started clapping along and it has stuck ever since.

I believe this happened around 1964, or 1965. I know 1964 was the first year we started using tuned bass drums, which was a first to drum corps. This might have been the year, or it might have happened the following year, but it was sometime around then.

I know for sure Tom Hartig was one of the drummers and possibly Dave Hoppe was there that night. I remember this fairly well since I was there and I also know Bob Ross was there (two of the Andrew sisters, even though we hadn't been given that name yet.) I specifically remember Bob really digging the beat."

Paul Milano -- "I was always under the impression that the name "Iowa" developed due to the cadence's sound that mimicked the word Iowa (Iowa, Iowa, pause, I-O-WA).

I don't know how long it has been so designated, but we were already calling it Iowa back when I joined the drum line in the fall of 1969.

I also recall that one of our bus songs was "Oklahoma" which was sung to the tune of Oklahoma (from the stage and movie musical) but using only the word Oklahoma repeated over and over in place of the regular verse (and bastardizing the syllables to fit the melody and rhythm. There are similarities between how the Oklahoma bus song is sung, and how Iowa is sung. That may have had something to do with it also.

I do know that one of my fellow drummers, Steve Schmid (FMM 70-74) was the gentleman who rewrote Iowa in its current form, after bass drum lines expanded beyond three drums (as it was originally written by Larry McCormick)."

Velvet Knights - Push

Finds it's way into my head any time I have to walk anywhere.

Dude... remember the 27th bass drum beat going off the field at CYO's in 77 at Harverd Staduim... that was cool!

Thank you so much. I was section leader of the 27th's bassline that year and we enjoyed playing it for you. I think 77 was the year that we switched drums with the Kilties at Nationals retreat ( along with about 1000 beer & other incidentals).

I do really miss those days !!! :P

OMG YES - you always knew who was coming when you heard that bass drum beat. I never knew it had a "formal" name.

I remember when we joined 27th, several of us timp players would play it together as a warmup.

Another classic was Boston Crusaders single bass drum beat (on Waldo) to exit the field.

My fav all time drum warmup is BD's Ditty - any year. Watching them play it was as much fun as listening to them play it.

LancerLegand.... what year(s) did you march tymp?

As with any corps that is as old as the Cavaliers, there is always a story behind a tradition:

(from the Cavalier website)

Here is some of the history -- as remembered by FMMs Wayne Karge and Paul Milano.

Wayne Karge -- "The drum beat was not written by any of the instructors. A bunch of us were hangin around the hall one night and a couple of the bass drummers were noodling with bass drum beaters on either the floor or one of the tables. They just sort of came up with the beat that night.

The next weekend when we were leaving the field they used it. The crowd immediately started clapping along and it has stuck ever since.

I believe this happened around 1964, or 1965. I know 1964 was the first year we started using tuned bass drums, which was a first to drum corps. This might have been the year, or it might have happened the following year, but it was sometime around then.

I know for sure Tom Hartig was one of the drummers and possibly Dave Hoppe was there that night. I remember this fairly well since I was there and I also know Bob Ross was there (two of the Andrew sisters, even though we hadn't been given that name yet.) I specifically remember Bob really digging the beat."

Paul Milano -- "I was always under the impression that the name "Iowa" developed due to the cadence's sound that mimicked the word Iowa (Iowa, Iowa, pause, I-O-WA).

I don't know how long it has been so designated, but we were already calling it Iowa back when I joined the drum line in the fall of 1969.

I also recall that one of our bus songs was "Oklahoma" which was sung to the tune of Oklahoma (from the stage and movie musical) but using only the word Oklahoma repeated over and over in place of the regular verse (and bastardizing the syllables to fit the melody and rhythm. There are similarities between how the Oklahoma bus song is sung, and how Iowa is sung. That may have had something to do with it also.

I do know that one of my fellow drummers, Steve Schmid (FMM 70-74) was the gentleman who rewrote Iowa in its current form, after bass drum lines expanded beyond three drums (as it was originally written by Larry McCormick)."

Thanks for the info, Mitch!