some old corps photos

Last one until tonight. One of me.

UNTITLED52.jpg

Nice mullet. 1985, semis, Madison. Good lord, was I hot, sweaty, and tired. The best feeling in the world. Plus, that may be the best show The Knights ever did.

I remember y'all know....I did like y'all. Yeah you looked "hot". :P

Edited by Lancerlady

I cant believe the 83 Ypsilanti pics !!!!! My God !!! Thank you.

And 1985 Knights, such an undervalued, overlooked corps, brass-line alone was one of the best of the year, what an awesome show, great arrangements, full of emotion.

~G~

Whitewater. 81. Guardsmen. Greensleeves.

UNTITLED24.jpg

Sky Ryders. Second drum solo.

UNTITLED25.jpg

First drum solo?

UNTITLED23.jpg

It's actually a re-wrap I did last year on a beat-to-hell chrome TDR. I'd never worked with actual copper for re-wrapping, so did it as an experiment, more than anything (and because I always liked SCV's copper drums). Fun as a learning process, but I'd be loathe to do a whole bunch of em. I don't like buffing that much. :P

Two more TDRs done this morning, so we're at six matching, with four more in the works. Now if I can find a source for 15" gut snares and the little crimps that hold them in place (and yeah, that's a hint to the community at large).

A little off topic for this thread, but oh well.. I'm sure you've experienced it a bit, and I think Geno and I talked about this a little while back too. When we first started doing the Kingsmen Alumni corps, we got a full set of new Dynasty snares that each of us bought out of pocket. There was half the line that wanted to try to convert them to the way our drums looked and played back in the 70's, and another half that actually likes how they sound today. What we decided as a line is that we wanted to try to retain as much of the old school sound as we could given the fact that we already paid for our drums.

Per Al Murray's advice, we put Remo White Max heads on them as a way to keep more of an old school sound rather than the Kevlar tile they play on now. We experimented with leg rests and multi hooks (you can still buy them on the Ludwig site) and Dynasty sent us a prototype as well but today's drums are just to heavy to hold up with a sling.

About 6 months ago I wanted to experiment more and got a Remo Powerstroke head that's pretty much just like an old school Mylar silver dot. I played on it for about 2 weeks, and I got totally discouraged. For one, after playing on the White Max for a year, I've learned to control the rebound rather than playing through the head like we always did. It's a completely different skill and even after a solid year my chops were no where good enough to play at the level I was at on the Max. It was like playing on a pillow where I had to stick everything and my hands and wrists actually hurt after a normal rehearsal.

The other thing I noticed is that today's drums don't have the adjustable mufflers that our TDR's and Super-Sensitive's did, so there's A LOT of ring overtones. I probably could have put some felt and tape on it if we decided to go that direction, but sadly we all decided not to do Mylar heads and stick to the newer blends.

Ideally we wish we could have found a full set of 16-20 chrome Ludwigs, but they just aren't around anymore. Our drums still sound fairly old school, and we're trying to resist the natural habit that all snare drumers have to crank the head before each rehearsal... old habits die heard :)

I wish you guys the best of luck with the old hardware. It definitely has a different sound that's hard to reproduce with today's equipment. If you're planning on playing on Mylar, get ready to build those chops because it's a lot more work than you might think.

(totally OT...)

We've experimented with Falams and with Powerstroke IIs on the vintage snares, and are sticking with mylar for the time being. One of the issues that you don't think about until you have to is the availability of 15" marching heads; in the newer technology heads, the Falam is one of the few that you can get in the 'right' size. The other concern we had was whether the older hardware could take the amount of torque necessary to get a Kevlar head up to speed, and since no one's making replacements for the Slingerland long lugs or 15" 10-hole rims, we decided to err on the side of caution.

While it takes some time to get used to mylar if someone's gotten used to playing in an aramid fiber head, for those of us who grew up on mylar, it's very comfortable already, so no worries there. And, I gotta tell you, when you've got 8 or 9 really solid snare drummers playing an open 32nd-note roll and releasing cleanly on beat 19 with a crack, it's a sound you can't replicate with newer equipment. :wall:

Sorry y'all finalists...the only 84 pics I have were taken by my brother at Open Class prelims...these five.

California Dons!

UNTITLED43.jpg

UNTITLED44.jpg

Anaheim, y'all! ANAHEIM!!!

UNTITLED47.jpg

Connexion Quebec, Bjorking for all of us...

UNTITLED48.jpg

I'm not sure, because the Knights never saw them, but I think this is Valley Airs. (Anyone who knows for sure, drop the science.)

UNTITLED49.jpg

All fine corps, all gone. (Until Pasadena, anyway. ANAHEIM!!!)

Hey Tommy, do you have any Boston Crusaders photos?????

I do not. Sorry.

Star of Indiana, Whitewater 85. Timpani player Keith Ledet. A nice guy.

UNTITLED57.jpg

Paula Williams, Spirit of Atlanta. Fantastic player.

UNTITLED54.jpg

Freelancers 1985. Somewhere on second tour.

UNTITLED64.jpg