some old corps photos

The (infamous) Pages of the Wausau Story - their first year.

Currently reading the Echoes in the Valley book. I like stories especially with photos and now the Wausau story. Please continue the story and thanks.

Yep....DPEmerald that picture of Patty posing is one of many that were taken that year. They used one of another rifle member on the program cover of a drum corps show. I'll have to dig it up and scan it.

Keep 'em coming!

Photos from the 1974 Labor Day parade in Wausau WI. When the Junior drum corps season did not end at DCI Finals!

Post some pictures from '75, '76 or '77 Wausau/Merrill and I'll bet I'm in 'em!!! B)

Did it rain in Stillwater again? b**bs

Anyone remember the 1976 show in Binghamton, NY? I recall there were torrential rains at the show, but since it was drum corps we couldn't cancel the show. SCV was brave and performed in full uniform. We had our new duds and the staff didn't want to ruin them, so we performed in trash bags. A picture of that would be darned near priceless. I don't know of any other time you'd have found BD at a show wearing trash bags! In a way, we might have set a record for cheapest matching uniforms in history. LOL.

bluestars20rg5.jpg

Wish it was!! They played the coolest opening mallet lick in the history of drum corps (IMHO), tight as a clam. That's Wayne Rahl, also known as Willllllburrrrrrrr, along with the incomparable Tom Nanni.

Why is Tom wearing his sunglasses at night. That song didn't come out until the eighties!.

Anyone remember the 1976 show in Binghamton, NY? I recall there were torrential rains at the show, but since it was drum corps we couldn't cancel the show. SCV was brave and performed in full uniform. We had our new duds and the staff didn't want to ruin them, so we performed in trash bags. A picture of that would be darned near priceless. I don't know of any other time you'd have found BD at a show wearing trash bags! In a way, we might have set a record for cheapest matching uniforms in history. LOL.

The better part of this story is that the night before Binghamton we were at World Open in Lynn, MA, more than 300 miles away, and the night AFTER Binghamton, we were scheduled for a show in Newton, MA. Now Jerry Seawright, God love him, thought it would be no problem to just pop over to NY for a quick show. It's just the next state over, right?!

We left everything that we wouldn't need for the show in MA (sleeping bags, suitcases, changes of clothes, etc.) and drove all night to Binghamton. Rain, rain, rain, we can't do the show in our NEW cadet uniforms. We marched in whatever we happened to be wearing for the bus ride! T-shirts, cut-offs, whatever. Show's over (still won the show by a point BTW -- I would have been peeved if I was SCV), then back on the busses to drive BACK to MA.

There are some pics in the yearbook of Binghamton. I'll have to dig out my copy and see if they'll scan decently. :-)

Edited by elayes

The better part of this story is that the night before Binghamton we were at World Open in Lynn, MA, more than 300 miles away, and the night AFTER Binghamton, we were scheduled for a show in Newton, MA. Now Jerry Seawright, God love him, thought it would be no problem to just pop over to NY for a quick show. It's just the next state over, right?!

We left everything that we wouldn't need for the show in MA (sleeping bags, suitcases, changes of clothes, etc.) and drove all night to Binghamton. Rain, rain, rain, we can't do the show in our NEW cadet uniforms. We marched in whatever we happened to be wearing for the bus ride! T-shirts, cut-offs, whatever. Show's over (still won the show by a point BTW -- I would have been peeved if I was SCV), then back on the busses to drive BACK to MA.

There are some pics in the yearbook of Binghamton. I'll have to dig out my copy and see if they'll scan decently. :-)

Thanks, Lee. I didn't recall leaving everything over is MA, but I do recall trying to dry out before getting back on the buses. I guess it makes sense, in that we had nothing else to wear... LOL.

Certainly a "drum corps sucks" moment. Remember the one in the Northwest (78, I think), where we hadn't been off the buses or fed for a very long time - or even had showers? You probably remember the rest of the story... LOL.