some old corps photos

Those pics look like a performance of some kind (gauntlets, matching t-shirts). Can anyone confirm?

Its 29 years ago now and I have a tendency to conflate my 2 years together 77-78 so I went to fromthepressbox.com to jog my memory. That could be Wheeling Illinois. The skies threatened that night so SCV went on like this to save their uniforms, and won. I remember we (Madison) were quite PO'ed about it. 2 weeks later we were beating them. Ultimately of course they won DCI.

scvrehearsal6.jpg

Edited by Scerpella

78BlueDevilssolo.jpg

Blue Devils Soloist

That would be the infamous Art West during his solo at the beginning of concert.

We had a big piece of heavy plywood, octagon-shaped and covered with that green fake-grass carpet. Half the rifle line would hold it thigh high and he'd climb on, then we'd lift him up like in the picture.

He'd get so into his solo at times, it was hard not to drop him on his head LOL!

Anyone remember the 1976 show in Binghamton, NY? I recall there were torrential rains at the show, but since it was drum corps we couldn't cancel the show. SCV was brave and performed in full uniform. We had our new duds and the staff didn't want to ruin them, so we performed in trash bags. A picture of that would be darned near priceless. I don't know of any other time you'd have found BD at a show wearing trash bags! In a way, we might have set a record for cheapest matching uniforms in history. LOL.

the second show the bluecoats did in 1985 was on a rain soaked night and since the uniforms were only 1 year old they didn't want to ruin them. The made Garbage Bag uniform tops complete with white and red sash made with contact paper and stick tape. that would be a picture I'd love to see. the show was in wisconsin or michigan I believe. I wasn't at the show since I was moving home from college. The first show of the season was in toledo and I had two finals that morning (I went to Toledo) so when the corps went on to the second show I moved home from school and met up with them during the week.

Would that be the origin of, "No food, no showers F%#$ off?"

You, sir - win the grand prize!!! LOL. I don't think I'll ever forget it. The next morning at rehearsal was a barrel of laughs, too. Remember that???

Dazed and looking like he is in a fly catching contest? B)

Note that everyone has that glazed-over look. As Lee pointed out, the overnight ride after WO - followed by rehearsal and a rain-soaked show. Another "drum corps sucks" moment...

For Geno & Co.--one of MSARP. Love the monster drum line...

MSARP1-1.jpg

I agree Sam. These are nice shots.

These were shot by my friend Ed Ferguson. If you look at the second picture you can see the judges in blue shirts which was in the first row of the upper deck. Looking at that picture he was about 12-15 rows above them but boy was it steep.

scv80.jpg

scv80-2.jpg

scv80-3.jpg

Hey Dale,

Did you scan the rest of those '80 SCV shots?

Anyone else have any of '79 and/or '80 SCV? Can't seem to locate much out there. I have zero personal photos from my drum corps experience, so it would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Photo 1: Jupiter

Photo 2: Concert Formation: Evita

Photo 3: End of Stone Ground Seven

Edited by scv guy

I scanned a bunch of photos from the 1976 yearbook to post here -- I'll look to see if I can find Vickie in any of the performance photos.

In the mean time, I share this:

BD0021001.jpg

That would be Bill Gant's hair that I'm cutting! I'll have to find the one when I'm cutting the long locks off of Brian Price with the whole corps watching!!!

78BlueDevilssolo.jpg

Blue Devils Soloist

Ah yes, Art West, my old room mate, the dolt who told me Vickie was out of my league...of course I was the dolt who listened. I miss him - may he rest in peace. B)