some old corps photos

Lyons High School, Lyons Colorado. VK's home away from home in the 70's.

...and 80's too. We stayed there in both 82 and 83 when I was working with the VK. I recall it was only a short walk to the Black Forest Inn, a really good German restaurant. Killer strudel!

The coolest thing about the Argonauts were the double snares in 76. Those would be great to see.

We tried out some double snares in 72 or 73. Borrowed them from Royal Cavaliers youth band. They were Carltons. The judges said they couldn't hear them in the box, so we went back to the Dynasonics. Maybe they had a hard time hearing them, but it sure made it easier to hear each other!

Yamaha and Dynasty both have double snares for drum corps.

Were Argonauts' Premiers?

Garry in Vegas

Here's a couple of goodies I found...

1973 DCI Gate Pass

DCIpass1973.jpg

1974 National Orange Show, standstill

DM Eddie Turner, CGC Linda Leatherman

EddieandLinda.jpg

1974 National Orange Show, Swing Auditorium

VK19743.jpg

VK19742.jpg

Garry, Byron, Dan and Chris...my last competition with VK as a marching member

VK19745.jpg

We used to love it when Shirley Whitcomb was judging GE. Her tapes were always so positive, and fun to listen to. It was like having a fan who was also a judge. :tongue:

Shirley gave us a 10 out of 10 in G.E. Visual in '77 prelims, AND drew a heart around the sheet.

So you marched with Lyle....I was with him in Troopers in 79.

jim

LancerLegend was teaching in 1980 when Lyle marched with me. And yes the friendships developed in Drum Corps over the years are great :satisfied:

Edited by john2780

I loved these ladies!! Trfinettes 1974

trifinettesfullcorps.jpg

Trfinettes.jpg

AWESOME!!!! :satisfied:

Edited by RobertPi1ot

We tried out some double snares in 72 or 73. Borrowed them from Royal Cavaliers youth band. They were Carltons. The judges said they couldn't hear them in the box, so we went back to the Dynasonics. Maybe they had a hard time hearing them, but it sure made it easier to hear each other!

Yamaha and Dynasty both have double snares for drum corps.

Were Argonauts' Premiers?

Garry in Vegas

I dunno Garry, all I can remember are the Zildjan cymbals logo. Of course, that was four year before my run in the corps.

I agree, Teddy's first drum solo in 76 was all left hand lead. That was a handful for a first year snare drummer.

In the interest of Teddy's legacy with the VK here are a few of him doing his thing.

VK 79

Vk-Drumline008a.jpg

VK 79 - He must have been washing his shorts this day.

VKInstructors1979a.jpg

VK 79

VK-1979DrumLinea.jpg

VK 76

VK-MaSmithZ146.jpg

VK 77

Teddy stepping in to help out with the line. BTW that's Scott Kubitz on the left (VK 77, Phantom 79, BD 83)

VK77_standstillScotTed.jpg

Another one of Scott Kubitz (today) & me layin' it down with the KAC (no ticks).

ScottGreglayinitdownClean.jpg

I don't remember us being so young back then but pictures don't lie.

Keep checking back I've got more stuff on the way.

I have a pic of me on DCP!! Far left on the tymp. And the opposite side playing tri toms is Steve Sanke if I remember correctly. and the #5 bass with the drum on the ground? He was one of 4 kids we picked up in Cedar Rapids Iowa. I remember that dude rolling the drum down a hill after his 1st rehearsel and nearly getting killed for doing that! and the cymbal gals? Lisa Vosburgh was one name I remember and I heard she was in Pasadena, but never caught up with her. But there was also a sultry quiet blonde who was dating Mike DeAngelo. I think that's the only reason she was on tour. She looked like she came straight out of Playboy.

In the 2nd pic in the shade? Looks like a school we stayed at out in the boonies before the Michigan City show.

I have a pic of me on DCP!! Far left on the tymp. And the opposite side playing tri toms is Steve Sanke if I remember correctly...and the cymbal gals? Lisa Vosburgh was one name I remember and I heard she was in Pasadena, but never caught up with her. But there was also a sultry quiet blonde who was dating Mike DeAngelo. I think that's the only reason she was on tour. She looked like she came straight out of Playboy...

Take a look at these.

Vk-Drumline022a.jpg

79 VK Pit - I'm sorry but I only remember Mike DiAngelo and a guy named Steve

Vk-Tympanis023a.jpg

79 VK Tympani

Vk-TriToms024a.jpg

79 VK Tenors - Dane ?, Steve Sanke, ?, Steve Smith

I remember a blonde cymbal player named Jenny (who could forget her) who was dating Scott Moreno. I thought Mike's girlfriend had dark hair (?) but I could be wrong about that. I did see Lori Vosburgh this summer at DCI. I don't remember a Lisa but I could be wrong about that too.

Edited by SoundmanG