some old corps photos

I just looked in the '77 DCI program which has this picture in it which indicates that the photo was taken the previous year in '76. I'm almost certain that it is Alan Kristensen, (sp?) next to Gabe. I believe that '76 was his last year in the corps.
In fact, I think the guy next to Darrell is Kenny (?), not Gabe.

Thanks for remembering us, fleabag!

More?

I LOVED the Dragons that year. I could almost hum the entire show to you. I'll be kind and spare your ears.

Also, the Odyssey Classic was the *best* corps show ever put on hands down by anyone. Best food, best entertainment at intermission and best trophies. Who's gonna argue against Chinese food, Lion Dance with firecrackers and Budda trophies?!

That's another corps that needs to come back!

I just looked in the '77 DCI program which has this picture in it which indicates that the photo was taken the previous year in '76. I'm almost certain that it is Alan Kristensen, (sp?) next to Gabe. I believe that '76 was his last year in the corps.

Solved! It's not either Cox nor Hampton. It is Alan Kristensen and Stoltzman and it is '76. I'll ask Dale Lofgren who the other guys are.

Just sos ya know. The rifle line always wore black gloves and gauntlets.

(1972)

sidewaysrifles1.jpg

And the Flag line always wore white gloves and gauntlets.

(1975)

75SCVFlagline2.jpg

Didn't rifles also wear their stars in the middle of the uniform rather than on the chest?

I know that Bass and Marching Tymps did that.

The tenor and cymbal lines also wore their stars in the middle.

Didn't rifles also wear their stars in the middle of the uniform rather than on the chest?

Yes they did or else it would have been crushed. And also interesting is as you may not notice is that they are at "Left shoulder arms" with the rifle lying flat on their shoulders. The usual is "Right shoulder arms" with the strap portion nestled in the shoulder. Of course this is because our Aussie is flipped on that side ( now there is a 'duh' moment for ya!).

About that partial SCV drumline photo...It is definitely 1976 (I marched in the line that year). Visible left-to-right is Stolzman, Carson, Kenny and Allan Kristensen. There were 3-4 more snares not seen in this particular photo.

The next year in 1977, the SCV line went to green tunics, red snare drums and to matched grip for the first time.

Take Care.

About that partial SCV drumline photo...It is definitely 1976 (I marched in the line that year). Visible left-to-right is Stolzman, Carson, Kenny and Allan Kristensen. There were 3-4 more snares not seen in this particular photo.

The next year in 1977, the SCV line went to green tunics, red snare drums and to matched grip for the first time.

Take Care.

:thumbup:

If I am not mistaken....the reason for match grip was you went to harnesses in the snare line. I remember also in 77, as part of the new red Slingerlands, SCV introduced the cut-a-way tenors. I was friendly with Peter Romo, while John2780 became friends with Tony Romo.

:thumbup:

If I am not mistaken....the reason for match grip was you went to harnesses in the snare line. I remember also in 77, as part of the new red Slingerlands, SCV introduced the cut-a-way tenors. I was friendly with Peter Romo, while John2780 became friends with Tony Romo.

Jeez, everybody forgets Oaklands had the cutaways at the same time.

True story, we're on first tour and at some point soon we're going to be up against Vanguard. Tom talked to someone who was at a show the previous night and relayed some scores. Vanguard's number was pretty close to ours. Tom told us they were using matched grip and he joked - if they beat us we're going matched. That's motivation, we never went matched.

Regards,

John

Jeez, everybody forgets Oaklands had the cutaways at the same time.......

No disrespect intended Sarnia.....I remember the cut-aways because we toured with SCV - and nearly everyone had shifted to Ludwig including 27th.

Gail Royer and George Bonfiglio were also good friends, and that trickled down to our corps as well. It was easy to make friends with SCV because our directors were close.