some old corps photos

If you look at the pictures of Madison at DATR, I believe these are some of the only photographic evidence of the disco show.

I was going to say the same thing. I believe I've only seen 2 photos from that show before these.

What a pain in the ### that whole summer was (at least for me).

If you look at the pictures of Madison at DATR, I believe these are some of the only photographic evidence of the disco show.

I'll bet you're right about that. My recollection was that they scrapped the show very quickly after that first trip. Too bad the pictures didn't pick up the disco ball hovering above the field... :-)

I recognize Steve Schultz and Jon Stevenson in the photo, both are baritone players. Stevenson did not march in '80. He eventually ended up as a lead sop in BD. From 2nd Bari to Lead Sop in BD. Pretty wild!

Jim McFarland went from Contra in BD 1975 to Upper Lead Soprano Soloist in 1976.

Anything can happen in the Blue Devils!

Jim McFarland went from Contra in BD 1975 to Upper Lead Soprano Soloist in 1976.

Anything can happen in the Blue Devils!

Yeah....they even let ME march! (Wayne and Jack must've been desperate!)

Jon gave me a pick from an 84 rehearsal (looked like a camp) at the 07 Stanford alum gig...I am STILL trying to remember when I -- playing 4th sop -- was ever playing with the upper leads...###### if I can remember!

Here it is, in fact:

L to R (edited because I forgot one guy's feature)

Duane Schimmel (who - I realized this year - had a solo or feature of some sort in every chart that year!), Gino Cipriani (duet with Duane in the closer), Steve "Stymie" Leanene (sp?) (giver of The Look on the horns down at the end of La Fiesta, part of the opening trio), Beth Geick (no solo or feature work in 84...duet in the opening of the closer in 86), me (nope...no solo or feature work....i DID make the first cut for the duet in LAtin Implosion that ended up going to Duane as a solo), and John Hendrickson (opening trio in La Fiesta...small solo in 85 Madison).

84withtheupperleads.jpg

Edited by 84BDsop

All this talk of long-haired staff and snare drummers but no pictures? Tsk, tsk...

Here's Mel Stratton, circa 1976

Mel762.jpg

Mel76.jpg

Mike Moxley:

Mike76.jpg

And how can we forget Wayne Downey and his 'fro?

BD0042.jpg

Edited by elayes

Moving on to 1977, Wayne and Jim Ott:

011.jpg

Mel Stratton and Mike Moxley:

010.jpg

Here's a few from 1978:

Mike Moxley and Mel Stratton:

014.jpg

Frank Dorrittie:

Frank78.jpg

And Wayne:

Wayne78.jpg

Man, I wish I still had my Concord Jazz shirt... :-(

Edited by elayes

Moving on to the hippie boys in the snare line...

1976:

001.jpg

Tony Odello, Mike Kelley, Scott Petersen, Jerry McFarland, Terry Shalberg, Scott Johnson and Charlie Morgan

004.jpg

Gary Caldwell, John Gerling, ? (Charlie, help me!), Charlie Morgan, Scott Johnson, Terry Shalberg, Jerry McFarland

Tube socks and bell bottoms...

And you'll love this one:

006.jpg

Alan Silverstein, Paul Petersen and John Gerling

Man, I wish I still had my Concord Jazz shirt... :-(

For some pack-rat(ish) reason I still have my late 70's version..:-)

ConcordJazzT-Shirt.jpg