some old corps photos

Yeah....they even let ME march! (Wayne and Jack must've been desperate!)

Jon gave me a pick from an 84 rehearsal (looked like a camp) at the 07 Stanford alum gig...I am STILL trying to remember when I -- playing 4th sop -- was ever playing with the upper leads...###### if I can remember!

Here it is, in fact:

L to R

Duane Schimmel (who - I realized this year - had a solo or feature of some sort in every chart that year!), Gino Cipriani (duet with Duane in the closer), Steve "Stymie" Leanene (sp?) (giver of The Look on the horns down at the end of La Fiesta), Beth Geick (no solo or feature work in 84...duet in the opening of the closer in 86), me (nope...no solo or feature work....i DID make the first cut for the duet in LAtin Implosion that ended up going to Duane as a solo), and John Hendrickson (no solo or feature in 84...small solo in 85 Madison).

84withtheupperleads.jpg

John Hendrickson was one of the trio at the beginning of La Fiesta right? To this day one of my favorite drum corps charts. Great arrangement and excellent hornline. There's something about the '84 Blue Devils. I don't mean to bring up sore moments, but if the Cadets had not been absolutely amazing that year BD could have easily won and I would have been perfectly happy with that. For sure a champion quality corps.

This is obviously pre-new uni...not many photos of the pre-new uni BD 76. I remember seeing them several times before they got the new uniforms in 76 and they were still beating everybody. I remember being totally in AWE once they came out with those new uniforms that had that tuxedo look to them. Definately a first for drum corps!.....also I notice there are only 9 snares in this pic which has to mean one was either out sick or something of that nature....I would say givin the fact of the 9 snares and the t-shirts this would have to be one of the rarest photos out there of BD. I don't know the exact circumstances on how they came to have 10 snares but I am sure they had 10 at this point in the season....anyone know?...anyone know if someone was out sick that night?

I don't distinctly remember only 9 snares that evening, but that doesn't mean much, my memory is pretty trashed. I do remember some flu going around but not sure which year/show it was - seems like Peterson got it bad. that could be this show. The other possibility is back then we marched closed interval. If you look just to the right of the flag on the right end of the snare line, it looks like there might be a left hand stick showing...

One things for sure...over the years, I never really remembered this show, but it was a HUGE deal for 27. Lancer Legend posted about how great it was to win that show, and later on, he bested BD as an instructor. That is cool - I'd like to meet him one day. Maybe I can get to Allentown...

I believe it was right after this we received the new uniforms -- at that point we felt like a million bucks. I'm sure it came across in our performances too.

Moving on to the hippie boys in the snare line...

1976:

004.jpg

Gary Caldwell, John Gerling, ? (Charlie, help me!), Charlie Morgan, Scott Johnson, Terry Shalberg, Jerry McFarland

Tube socks and bell bottoms...

Lee - Gary, John, Alan, me, Scott, Terry, Jerry, Paul, Mike, Tony - That was our standard lineup. When we took the pictures at the reunion, we lined up exactly this same way. It just felt natural as though that was way things should always be.

Funny thing - I remember this photo at Hatborough-Horshem (sp?) It was drill time, we were stopped while they were fixing sets. I saw on the little hill on the front side of the field, someone pulling up their camera to take a picture. I quickly yelled, "TEN HUT", and snapped to attention for the photo. Everyone else was like, "What?" "What are you talking about Charlie?" So they just ignored me. Except, see, Silverstein is dressing center. Oh well, I tried for a classy photo...

Shout out to Dave Tuttle!

How's it going Dave?

Fan-frickin-tastic! Kudos to Lee for the photos. I was meaning to track some down but haven't had time to scan. Perhaps on the weekend. These bring back a lot of memories, for sure. You still in the bay area? [reply privately so we don't get off topic too far - thanks]

Funny thing - I remember this photo at Hatborough-Horshem (sp?) It was drill time, we were stopped while they were fixing sets. I saw on the little hill on the front side of the field, someone pulling up their camera to take a picture. I quickly yelled, "TEN HUT", and snapped to attention for the photo. Everyone else was like, "What?" "What are you talking about Charlie?" So they just ignored me. Except, see, Silverstein is dressing center. Oh well, I tried for a classy photo...

I thought that might be Alan. Even though he's dressing center, he's still looking at you like you're nuts.

This photo (and the rest of the hair photos I posted) came from the BD yearbooks so it's likely the photographer was Bob Fields.

I have fond memories of our time at Hatboro-Horsham HS; my first two years at DCI and I had no idea why all these strangers would show up to sit on the hill and watch us practice! Wasn't that where we got a firetruck to bring a lift for the staff to use as a GE box?

John Hendrickson was one of the trio at the beginning of La Fiesta right? To this day one of my favorite drum corps charts. Great arrangement and excellent hornline. There's something about the '84 Blue Devils. I don't mean to bring up sore moments, but if the Cadets had not been absolutely amazing that year BD could have easily won and I would have been perfectly happy with that. For sure a champion quality corps.

Yep....for some reason I had forgotton about that....in fact, the trio's in this shot (Duane and Stymie were the other guys)

I'll have to go edit that.

As for the last comment...yeah...I've been told by others who saw the shows that if it had been any other show from Cadets we probably would've won...hell. THEY thought they lost that night!!

I lost to one of the all-time greats...no shame there!

1980win.jpg Edited by BDCorno

The arch-rivals of the White Stallions, the Black Stallions!

TheBlackStallions-1.jpg

Since we never had an actual horse, I'd have preferred marching in front - not behind them, if you know what I mean... <g>

Jim Centorino displaying a little humor:

JimCentorino.jpg