some old corps photos

Yeah, I dunno about that marching through it stuff. That was the best part about marching squads as opposed to a block. Squads could "slide" around the poo-piles. Which is much better than sliding in them!

My two favorite parades: 1) Colmo Days Rodeo in Salinas, CA. All the horses were in the day parade...followed by a fleet of street sweepers. The corps marched at night. 2) Edmonton Klondike Days. We won the corps show, so we got to lead-off the parade. All the horses were behind us. :thumbup:

Garry in Vegas

PS Dave, how's the French horn campaign going?

You could generally slide around obstacles, but with a livestock-intensive parade such as the American Royal, there sometimes wasn't much choice. The sweepers, which cleaned up periodically, sometimes cleaned "the big stuff" but left a thin slime on the road, especially if it was raining. Yuck!

Yeah, the Salinas Rodeo Parade did at least police itself. Remember the stadium (at the high school, I believe) they had the show at up until around '77? REALLY small, concrete bowl with full surround, and any good size corps could vaporize the crowd (well, we enjoyed it...heh, heh). Then they went and moved it over to the baseball stadium, which was not nearly as fun.

Well the French Horn campaign is succeeding, if more slowly than we'd like. All things in good time, I hope.

Yeah, I dunno about that marching through it stuff. That was the best part about marching squads as opposed to a block. Squads could "slide" around the poo-piles. Which is much better than sliding in them!

My two favorite parades: 1) Colmo Days Rodeo in Salinas, CA. All the horses were in the day parade...followed by a fleet of street sweepers. The corps marched at night.

What I remember most about this parade -- all the drunk cowboys in the sidelines. Debbie Russell actually hit one in the head with her rifle; not on purpose of course, she was spinning and he walked right into her. It barely even slowed him down!

Edited by elayes

Yeah, the Salinas Rodeo Parade did at least police itself. Remember the stadium (at the high school, I believe) they had the show at up until around '77? REALLY small, concrete bowl with full surround, and any good size corps could vaporize the crowd (well, we enjoyed it...heh, heh). Then they went and moved it over to the baseball stadium, which was not nearly as fun.

At the show in that tiny little stadium, the GE side changed between every corps and the judges had to trudge back and forth each time!

At the show in that tiny little stadium, the GE side changed between every corps and the judges had to trudge back and forth each time!

Yes, I remember that now! Probably explains why they moved it to the baseball field. It was fun deafening the crowd while it lasted...

You could generally slide around obstacles, but with a livestock-intensive parade such as the American Royal, there sometimes wasn't much choice. The sweepers, which cleaned up periodically, sometimes cleaned "the big stuff" but left a thin slime on the road, especially if it was raining. Yuck!

With the Toy Soldier Band at Disneyland, you couldn't see the street very well, especially if you were a snare drummer. and since it was strict block marching, not an opportunity to slide even if the poo-piles could be seen. But you knew it at the end when you took the "legs" off and got a good look at your sneakers.

Steinbeck Classic?

Well the French Horn campaign is succeeding, if more slowly than we'd like. All things in good time, I hope.

Keep fighting the good fight!

Garry in Vegas

Bob Fields = Clark Kent!

I have a bunch of the blue articles from the Concord Transcript. Those are fun. Did you know that time Bob toured with us led to him being heavily involved with the Crossmen (I think) and his daughter marched. It seems I ran across an article he wrote for DCW or something. It'd be cool to get him on here just to say hi.

I believe he "troll's" around here once in a while. Doesn't post.