some old corps photos

78PR3.JPG

That photo is very bad azz! I remember seeing the corps that year. Wow!

They must have bolted those scoops on with a nail gun. Those things were the bane of my existence from 77-80. I swear that after about 2 shows, I started carrying ductape with me to every show because invariably one or two would pop off somewhere between the warm-up and the first gun. We used Slingerland TDRs and had scoops on both the snares and tenors when I was teaching VK, and after awhile we seriously questioned if it was worth the hassle, not to mention the .1 deduction for dropped equipment. They are probably a lot better nowadays, but I do still see some corps using them on the snares. It's surprising that with all the other advances (real or imagined.. coughKevlarcough) that someone hasn't come up with a better solution to bring the snare sound forward. I know, let's put the drumline BEHIND the horns, all way back field for most of the show... we'll make them run around too.. that will make it better.. more room for the dancers.. oops.. wrong thread, sorry :thumbdown:

They must have bolted those scoops on with a nail gun. Those things were the bane of my existence from 77-80. I swear that after about 2 shows, I started carrying ductape with me to every show because invariably one or two would pop off somewhere between the warm-up and the first gun. We used Slingerland TDRs and had scoops on both the snares and tenors when I was teaching VK, and after awhile we seriously questioned if it was worth the hassle, not to mention the .1 deduction for dropped equipment. They are probably a lot better nowadays, but I do still see some corps using them on the snares. It's surprising that with all the other advances (real or imagined.. coughKevlarcough) that someone hasn't come up with a better solution to bring the snare sound forward. I know, let's put the drumline BEHIND the horns, all way back field for most of the show... we'll make them run around too.. that will make it better.. more room for the dancers.. oops.. wrong thread, sorry :thumbdown:

You could always go back to the split shells :worthy:

And what's with the spelling on the banner up in the stands..."Edward Stank's you, Regiment!"??

Nice to see that poor spelling isn't a new thing!

You could always go back to the split shells :thumbdown:

And what's with the spelling on the banner up in the stands..."Edward Stank's you, Regiment!"??

Nice to see that poor spelling isn't a new thing!

Thankfully, I never had the misfortune of having to play on a Vistalite for an entire summer. I can't imagine the tuning frustration those guys must have gone through.. What a great idea, I can just hear the R&D department meeting.. Ok, so we're going to make a plastic snare drum, then let's cut a 6" slice out of the entire middle of the drum. I think it will still sound just as good, don't you?

And, you have to think about this.. you have a group of 16-20 year old guys.. how many sticks, pieces of gum, cigarette butts and god knows what else ended up being tossed into someone's drum just to screw with them.. In case anyone forgot, tour was NOT a place to be responsible.. we worked hard but god we had fun too :)

78madison2.JPG

WOW! I can still feel the power that those old Madison hornlines had just by looking at the picture.

THANKS!

The sop in the center of the picture with the East Coast embouchure is Randy Ferrie who headed up the MSARP in 2006.

Edited by Scerpella

1977 Alberta All Girls, Nijkerk Netherlands, photo by Pieter Pannevis

1977-aag-aug1-enhanced-a.jpg

Orange Vistalite drums. Not sure if there’s a cowbell in Nancy’s accessory pouch. We have CDs of music from 72, 73, 74, 75, 77 otherwise I wouldn’t remember the entire repertoire. In 1977, we had 15 songs, 3 medleys, for a total of 12 pieces of music including 1 drum solo. The drum corps field show had 5 marching, 2 concert pieces and a cadence off the field. In Nijkerk we decided to do the field show and play 14 songs, 2 concerts with 3-4 pieces each, total of 20 minutes or more of music, haven't timed the recording. I remember the girls being very tired that day, including me. (edit for typo on a date :-)

Edited by lindap

1977 Alberta All Girls, Nijkerk Netherlands, photo by Pieter Pannevis

1977-europe-enhanced-a.jpg

Part of the horn line. The melodic middle voices consisted of 6 Mellophones and 5 French horns. Bobby Lee is on the far right (AAG 1975-1978 inclusive and 1981) and received a degree in education. Beside her is Shawna (AAG 10 years old in 1973, 1975-1977 inclusive), she’s 4’ 8” tall and has a degree in social work. 1977 senior corps average age was 16 ½. This photo also includes our 1977 identical twins.

Toronto Optimists webmaster allowed me to post this on DCP…early – mid 70’s, maybe the senior corps? …it was all about the music; and the visual was drawn from it...edit; Alberta All Girls

AAG_197_8c-a.jpg

Edited by lindap