some old corps photos

Another wonderful all-girls corps out of Quebec... They were a wealth of all-girls corps. Some never even left Quebec.

I started as an instructor at 15, the photo is endearing to me, reminds me of my kids...

If you don't mind I kept a copy. Thank you Paul :-)

stGregory-PaulMilano.jpg

Linda, another photo from the same photo session (notice the flags in the back row on the one I posted that are not there in this one) Thanks for posting it. (Thank you too, Paul)

Wow Fleabag - these are great. I've never seen them before. I'd take it these were around 1965 or earlier.

That uniform changed in 1967... and then again in 1972. But the nuns wouldn't let our skirts show our knees.

We use to have to kneel on the floor for measurement if there was any in question.

Thanks for putting these up.

Wendy, you are quite welcome! You are correct, they are all from 65 or earlier.

Here is another you may enjoy, I see you joined in 65 so he might be just before your time there but you were probably in the cortage to the church that day in August 65, and at the church as he passed through the ranks for the last time.

Father H. S. Hayes 1921-1965

He was the moderator of St. John's Girls from 1959 until retiring in Sept. 1964, he was proud of his girls, who won the Canadian National Championships in 1962, 63, 64 and 65.

11fatherhayes.jpg

Outside of the Busbys, I see absolutely nothing wrong.

/Edit: Geez, i just realized how bad that "rolleyes" emoticon looked there.

Thank you for noticing. "bigsmile" emoticon:-) It was a day we still speak of today. The performance was to be at St. Peter's Basilica, the venue changed that day. It was sunny and warm. The Swiss and Austrian choirs sang...horns up...we played our signature music as we had years before, the soft sound resounated, the people harmonious. It was a glorious day, words cannot describe. The piece was performed for the last time on stage in 1991...the music was Amazing Grace

Alberta All Girls, August 17, 1977, Castel Gandolfo, Italy

1977-aag-italy2.jpg

Edited by lindap

Wendy, you are quite welcome! You are correct, they are all from 65 or earlier.

Here is another you may enjoy, I see you joined in 65 so he might be just before your time there but you were probably in the cortage to the church that day in August 65, and at the church as he passed through the ranks for the last time.

Father H. S. Hayes 1921-1965

He was the moderator of St. John's Girls from 1959 until retiring in Sept. 1964, he was proud of his girls, who won the Canadian National Championships in 1962, 63, 64 and 65.

11fatherhayes.jpg

OMG Father Hayes. Of course I know Father Hayes. He was the best. He was an exceptional man. He looks so young in this picture.

Although my first year to march was in 1965 I actually joined in 64, but you had to go thru a year of training before marching. It was

all so strict. How do you know Father Hayes? Is it okay if I share this picture with some people?

Here's another pic of St. John's Girls 1967 or 68

I'm the flag on the left.

StJohns68-1.jpg

Nice uniforms!

See next

Edited by ereese

Geneva Appleknockers Geneva, NY

Don Phipps (french horn) and Ken Peterson (soprano)

geneva.jpg

Kenny (Ace) Petersen is still kicking and is a lead/soloist for MSJ's Alumni corps. He first marched in 1948, you do the math....amazing.

Kenny (Ace) Petersen is still kicking and is a lead/soloist for MSJ's Alumni corps. He first marched in 1948, you do the math....amazing.

Ace also still has that white Appleknocker uniform. It is in impeccable condition, and he sometimes brings it along to show off to the youngsters.