some old corps photos

It's time for everyone to go dig through their closets and attics and ask all of your friends and family members if they have any drum corps photos. Check your local newspaper archives too. I hope to be posting some new old photos here in the next weeks.

Please! Please make the effort!

I recently was granted access to the newspaper archives of Ozaukee, Cedarburg and West Bend... been digging around when time permits. I've already found several articles about The Thing (tour notes mainly), but no photos as yet. The archive books are huge, heavy and delicate - unsuitable for copying - so I've been taking digital shots of the stories I've uncovered.

A good half dozen competing corps had come from this immediate area (junior & senior), there is good potential for some gems hidden away. A very slow process, but you never know what might be found.

Three local papers with books form the '30s to the '80s... I'll be busy all winter long. :tongue:

I recently was granted access to the newspaper archives of Ozaukee, Cedarburg and West Bend... been digging around when time permits. I've already found several articles about The Thing (tour notes mainly), but no photos as yet. The archive books are huge, heavy and delicate - unsuitable for copying - so I've been taking digital shots of the stories I've uncovered.

A good half dozen competing corps had come from this immediate area (junior & senior), there is good potential for some gems hidden away. A very slow process, but you never know what might be found.

Three local papers with books form the '30s to the '80s... I'll be busy all winter long. :tongue:

Thanks to you and baja for this important work in progress. All's I got left is lots of newspaper articles; I'm looking for more photos. Here's one from my corps 70 or 71 that I found, ahem, from elsewhere. A photo and article with no written record of the contest, who was there (other than Bruce and Debbie :-) or scores? I'll be busy all winter long too!

edit: a written entry from my scrapbook says: 'July 31 1971, Sheffield PA, Firefighters 1st, Marion Cadets 2nd'. Thanks to all who post here :-)

71-firefighters3.jpg

Edited by lindap

Thanks to you and baja for this important work in progress. All's I got left is lots of newspaper articles; I'm looking for more photos. Here's one from my corps 70 or 71 that I found, ahem, from elsewhere. A photo and article with no written record of the contest, who was there (other than Bruce and Debbie :-) or scores? I'll be busy all winter long too!

edit: a written entry from my scrapbook says: 'July 31 1971, Sheffield PA, Firefighters 1st, Marion Cadets 2nd'. Thanks to all who post here :-)

71-firefighters3.jpg

I well remember the Sheffield PA show! I was there in 1968 and 1969 with the RHLI as exhibition corps. Our write-up in the program notes was pretty funny..."By special permission of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the 2nd who has graciously allowed the bugle band of the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry to appear...etc." Jeez, we were just a bunch of mopes from Hamilton Ontario who were in the reserves! I recall seeing Marion Cadets, St. John's Girls and I think Cleveland Caballeros at that show. Marion had a really great corps in 1969 playing "Joker" OTL. The Sheffield trip was one of our high-lights. Thanks for the photo!

Once you get through the clarification process (which Nancy described) then everyone knows what is suppose to be where. Then, repetition creates muscle memory which creates consistency.

OK, so I believe Ralph Pace said it best: Practice does not make perfect, if you're practicing something incorrectly it will never be perfect. Practice something correctly and practice makes permanent....I'm paraphrasing here, I never forget that, it made so much sense to me!

Practice doesn't make perfect.

Perfect practice makes perfect.

JACKPOT!

A quick review of show dates "fromthepressbox" gave me the clues of 'when' to look in these archives, and I am pleased to say I have found considerable articles and photos. The Cedarburg Firefighters used to hold a annual event in late June, involving both parade and show... often having as many as 32 corps and bands in a day long competition!

Unsure how to proceed compiling all this - from just the 72-75 archives I have almost 2 dozen stories and photos, including 2 full page spreads! Blue Stars, Kilties, Northernaires, CapitalAires, Madison Scouts, Racine Scouts, Americanos, Windjammers, Marquis, Patriots, Thunderbolts, St.M Cadets, Imperials, Mariners, Royal Lancers... even the announcement of merger between Thunderbolts & Imperials (The Thing).

This is from only three years of the Cedarburg paper - I still have 30 years left to go back through and the West Bend archives!

Man, I am jazzed! People at work now not only think I am nuts, they know I am nuts! :sleeping:

I well remember the Sheffield PA show! I was there in 1968 and 1969 with the RHLI as exhibition corps. Our write-up in the program notes was pretty funny..."By special permission of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the 2nd who has graciously allowed the bugle band of the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry to appear...etc." Jeez, we were just a bunch of mopes from Hamilton Ontario who were in the reserves! I recall seeing Marion Cadets, St. John's Girls and I think Cleveland Caballeros at that show. Marion had a really great corps in 1969 playing "Joker" OTL. The Sheffield trip was one of our high-lights. Thanks for the photo!

I did Sheffield much later-around 83 or 84 and I recall riding for ever on rt.666 and at the end coming to a burned out Church. Kind of weird... :sleeping:

I did Sheffield in 1974 and 1974 with the Royal Coachmen. 1981 with Frontiersmen and then I was teaching patriots in the mid 80's.

I did Sheffield much later-around 83 or 84 and I recall riding for ever on rt.666 and at the end coming to a burned out Church. Kind of weird... :sleeping:

I did Sheffield in 1974 and 1974 with the Royal Coachmen. 1981 with Frontiersmen and then I was teaching patriots in the mid 80's.

I was there the same years. Sheffield - out in the middle of nowhere and if I recall, the field was in the middle of town and the show always during the day (no lights?). The show was one of the high points of the town's summer festival, and everyone in town showed up. remember one if the years it poured but the show went on, even with part of the field flooded - lost my shoe somewhere on the 30 yard line.