some old corps photos

<!--quoteo(post=2941135:date=Nov 22 2010, 07:20 AM:name=ADrumCorpsNut)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ADrumCorpsNut @ Nov 22 2010, 07:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2941135"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, Vistalites! I only remember 2 other corps' playing these; the Muchachos and the Kilties.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

2-7 used them in 1973 as well. I'll get a picture up later tonight.

Not to disrespect DPEmerald, we did not use Ludwig Vistalites in 1973, 27th used Slingerland TDR-100's in 1973 and 1974. It was a clear, 3/4" thick lexan shell and they were very heavy.

In 1975 - 27th went to black Ludwig Vistalites which had a 1/4" thick lexan shell and much lighter. Many corps jumped onto the Ludwig name that year. The Vistalite drum was based on the Ludwig Classic snare trainer and it was excellent. I remember SCV and BD stuck with Slingerland in 1975, but by 1976 - almost everyone (except for SCV) went to Ludwig - either their wood or acrylic shells.

The Vistalite series was not just clear/translucent shells, Ludwig made many opaque shells as well.

Madison had the most colorful Vistalites during first tour of 1976 - I believe with a green, yellow and red stripe in their acrylic shells. I am certain Dan Guernsey might have a photo of those drums?

Edited by LancerLegend

Not to disrespect DPEmerald, we did not use Ludwig Vistalites in 1973, 27th used Slingerland TDR-100's in 1973 and 1974. It was a clear, 3/4" thick lexan shell and they were very heavy.

In 1975 - 27th went to black Ludwig Vistalites which had a 1/4" thick lexan shell and much lighter. Many corps jumped onto the Ludwig name that year. The Vistalite drum was based on the Ludwig Classic snare trainer and it was excellent. I remember SCV and BD stuck with Slingerland in 1975, but by 1976 - almost everyone (except for SCV) went to Ludwig - either their wood or acrylic shells.

The Vistalite series was not just clear/translucent shells, Ludwig made many opaque shells as well.

Madison had the most colorful Vistalites during first tour of 1976 - I believe with a green, yellow and red stripe in their acrylic shells. I am certain Dan Guernsey might have a photo of those drums?

Yes, we had vistalites, the drums forever associated with the dreadful "disco" show. We called them "jelly beans." They were clear but with silver mylar added inside the shells. They gleamed almost like disco lights, befitting the polyester artifice of 70s disco. The pic below was taken in July '76 while we were in transition from vistalites to chrome Ludwigs. The tenors were awaiting new chrome drums when this pic was taken.

76drumlinephoto.jpg

Hell, all I knew is they were clear and I missed the scottish snares.

Edited by DPEmerald

Of course, they bounced around anyway. Multi-tenor was an adventurous proposition back in the day :laughing:

Fred O.

I guess we were ahead of our time in VK. Our first tri-toms were Rogers prototypes, and had a rack that the drums attached to, metal poles that came up and attached to a back-pack carrier that came up over the shoulder. No straps to get in the way, and we wore them lower. The 65 pounds of weight probably held them down, too. They were never mass produced. There have been a couple of pictures posted here, but I'll repost this one from 1973. From left to right, Garry Parker (me), John Herron and Mike Quinn.

1973VKTenors.jpg

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Yes, we had vistalites, the drums forever associated with the dreadful "disco" show. We called them "jelly beans." They were clear but with silver mylar added inside the shells. They gleamed almost like disco lights, befitting the polyester artifice of 70s disco. The pic below was taken in July '76 while we were in transition from vistalites to chrome Ludwigs. The tenors were awaiting new chrome drums when this pic was taken.

76drumlinephoto.jpg

I'm curious-was there much sound difference between the vistalites vs. wooden shell drums? They were a couple of years before my time, so I never heard or played any (live).

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

I'm curious-was there much sound difference between the vistalites vs. wooden shell drums? They were a couple of years before my time, so I never heard or played any (live).

Generally they were louder... there was no warmth, or sound-absorbtion that wood shells would most often produce. They were essentially plastic tubes with heads, so the sound was very directed.

78cavaliercadets.jpg

'78 Cavalier Cadets rifle line

Hey Uncle, great historical photo. Any idea how many of these young men moved "up" to march with the Cavies? Any names to match with their faces?

Hey Uncle, great historical photo. Any idea how many of these young men moved "up" to march with the Cavies?

I believe that all of them were mainstays in the color guard.

Any names to match the faces?

78cavaliercadets.jpg

Back Row L to R: Jeff Wroblewski, Brian Nash, Norman Dziedzic, Rich Maryanski

Front Row L to R: Scott DeGrauwe, Dan McGuire, Greg Poznanski, John Van Dorpe

Yep......and seven years later: (these guys are gonna kill me)

85LoverBoy.jpg

Brian Nash is kneeling on the far left, behind him is Scott De Grauwe, to Scott's left is Rich Maryanski, to Rich's left is Jeff Wroblewski, the guy with his arm on Aldo's shoulder is Norm Dziedzic, and standing on the far right is John Van Dorpe.

Edited by uncle z

Yep......and seven years later: (these guys are gonna kill me)

85LoverBoy.jpg

Brian Nash is kneeling on the far left, behind him is Scott De Grauwe, to Scott's left is Rich Maryanski, to Rich's left is Jeff Wroblewski, the guy with his arm on Aldo's shoulder is Norm Dziedzic, and standing on the far right is John Van Dorpe.

Ah, yes, their '80s show (which was actually much better than they got credit for, IMO). I know a fellow in that guard, Kevin, but for some reason I can't find him in the photo.