some old corps photos

Blue Stars 1981. Our very own Cliff deArment is down front there, strapping it on and playing it up.

Slide45.jpg

How many batteries have you seen, standing right next to one another, that took up 30 yards? Spirit 81, end of 'Devil Went Down to Georgia.'

Slide46.jpg

Devils 81. Fuschia panels in the drum solo.

Slide47.jpg

1978 Prelims.

Crossmen

crossmen78.jpg

Boston

bac78.jpg

Crossmen

crossmen78.jpg

I love seeing all these photos of the late 70s and early 80s. The earlier posts of 1978 Blue Devils, 1983 Santa Clara, Spirit 1980 and these from 1978, all the corps look great! The forms are very picturesque and easy to read. The field seems very clean and I wonder if that is because there is no pit. Perhaps it was that back then the intervals between performers and the staging made the forms easy to read. Obviously the performing members had a better opportunity to concentrate on the form and intervals rather than running their ***** off. I like the black and white and the color photos so I dont think that is an issue.

I wonder if I am showing my age here, but is it just me or did drum corps on the field photograph better a few decades ago?

Crossmen

crossmen78.jpg

I love seeing all these photos of the late 70s and early 80s. The earlier posts of 1978 Blue Devils, 1983 Santa Clara, Spirit 1980 and these from 1978, all the corps look great! The forms are very picturesque and easy to read. The field seems very clean and I wonder if that is because there is no pit. Perhaps it was that back then the intervals between performers and the staging made the forms easy to read. Obviously the performing members had a better opportunity to concentrate on the form and intervals rather than running their ***** off. I like the black and white and the color photos so I dont think that is an issue.

I wonder if I am showing my age here, but is it just me or did drum corps on the field photograph better a few decades ago?

I think the symmetry in the old-school drills may have something to do with it. Or maybe I'm completely wrong and shouldn't put words in your mouth. Anyway, pretty good drum corps right here:

Slide48.jpg

New Country, 1981.

I think the symmetry in the old-school drills may have something to do with it. Or maybe I'm completely wrong and shouldn't put words in your mouth. Anyway, pretty good drum corps right here:

Yeah Tom, I think symmetry has something to do with it as well, although someone posted some photos of 1980 SCV and they looked great too. I think the pit, large drum major podiums and equipment along the front sideline is more distracting to me that I realize when I watch modern drum corps live. Also, looking at the photo of 27th I like the color of the uniforms and flags against the grass. It seems to be a trend lately toward more darker colors.

Edited by Legolaus

Dale- got any 77 or 78 Velvet Knights? We were at Boulder/Denver both those years. People might like to see VK before they were fun! B)

I'm sure I do Corkie, was the corps in Shakos?

Blue Stars 1981. Our very own Cliff deArment is down front there, strapping it on and playing it up.

Slide45.jpg

YAY! We had a good corps that year. Small, but determined to get back in finals. The drill execution was clean as snot, but so badly written that you could see every form developing 100 counts ahead and then waiting.... waiting... for..... the....... impact......... and................ you... can.... see.... it.... coming....... and...... snorrrrrre.....

But, gotta give props to my peeps, a really good mallet section, from left to right Brad Amidon, Jennifer (Becker) Richards, and Mark Ortego, I'm on the far right. This was the first mallet section in drum corps to have all the players use four-mallet technique and also the first section to use weighted mallets. Scored a 95.50 in perc ens, .05 behind winning SCV. The best part was when SCV, always gracious, came over and said they thought we should have won. I agreed and said they should give us their plaques! LOL! Graciousness only goes so far, but we had a good laugh. Both Jen and Mark marched BD the following year. Brad aged out and I gave up. Drum corps... PHOOEY! hehe

YAY! We had a good corps that year. Small, but determined to get back in finals. The drill execution was clean as snot, but so badly written that you could see every form developing 100 counts ahead and then waiting.... waiting... for..... the....... impact......... and................ you... can.... see.... it.... coming....... and...... snorrrrrre.....

But, gotta give props to my peeps, a really good mallet section, from left to right Brad Amidon, Jennifer (Becker) Richards, and Mark Ortego, I'm on the far right. This was the first mallet section in drum corps to have all the players use four-mallet technique and also the first section to use weighted mallets. Scored a 95.50 in perc ens, .05 behind winning SCV. The best part was when SCV, always gracious, came over and said they thought we should have won. I agreed and said they should give us their plaques! LOL! Graciousness only goes so far, but we had a good laugh. Both Jen and Mark marched BD the following year. Brad aged out and I gave up. Drum corps... PHOOEY! hehe

Glad you like. I have a photo of the opening set as well. I'l find it soon.