some old corps photos

Yes prior to 82 you could ground percussion instruments but you had to carry them on the field (ie wear them) first. I'm guessing no one wore the wind chimes on a stand in the picture which is why I made the assumption that it was a grounded 'Pit' in front of the sidelines which started in 1982.

In 1980 BD Doug Knoll was our tympani player and I guarantee you he didn't carry those things on the field. I don't remember how they got out there but they were definitely non-marching tymps. The maller players still had to carry all their stuff though.

We've shown time and again that stationary instruments go back farther than 1982; Kilts had four concert timpani in 1978, as well as mounted congas. And yes, in 1980 BD had concert timps that were put on the field by a golf cart and a hefty staffer. Xmen thst year had a mini-setup including a set of concert vibes, roto-toms, bongos, and stationary marching timps. Bridgemen had their own set-p as well. My first year, 83, we still had to enter the field then cross over into the pit, which was amended the nest year, when we pitheads could ride in with the cart.

Long story short: Pit-1982. "Concert" percussion-long before then. Lancers picture in question-1982.

I know it's Whitewater, think it's 81 based on the guard unis.

bayonne-2.JPG

Both of these BD pics are taken BEFORE the jackets arrived!

Its hard to tell from these pictures but as I remember they were wearing powder blue short sleeve shirts. They kind of looked like Air Force summer dress shirts. I liked the look and was actually disappointed when the new jackets arrived.

and 81 I think.

27th-3.JPG

It's not 81, the rifle line didn't wear the red jackets that year. They wore khaki like the rest of us. The soprano up front is Paul Beaumont, so I'm thinking it's 82.

Yikes - I am really losing it. I would never have guessed that Jacqui Bertrand marched in 82. But seeing as those are Slingerland quads in the background - and seeing Paul Beaumont - it has to be. It does look like Whitewater in the background as well.

1975 Cavaliers' rifle line, with Rich Kemp.

75Rifles.jpg

Ooh, I liked watching them too. I even know one of them -- third from the left is Chris Hartowicz.

Thanks Uncle Z!