some old corps photos

Doc was the Kiltie corps director in 1961, but bailed in the spring of 1962. (In a previous era, he was the Kilties' drum instructor.) He continued to lead the Mariners.

Carl was CG Sgt in 1961, and moved to DM in 1962-63. Carl marched in 1961 with both units.

Doc often marched with his kids - if not, member Doug Klipfel called cadence.

In 1962 Doc was laying the groundwork to convert the Mariners drill team to a drum corps. He tried, 100% unsuccessfully, to recruit the core members of the Kilties.

BTW if you're hanging around the cathedral in Milwaukee nowadays, you might run into Monsignor Carl Last. And maybe Father Bob Anello?

As a member of the Cathedral parish, I see Father Carl quite a lot. As for my brother, Father Bob (trying saying that fast five times!), he's in D.C. until Christmas time.

The hanger incident was in '68--I've cut and pasted the story from the DPV web site---

In 1968, adversity once again haunted the corps. In the previous year, a key member was lost in a tragic accident just prior to a show in the Chicago area. In 1968, there were more very traumatic events that that had a definite impact on the corps. During music practices at the new Vanguard Hall, the Color Guard held practices at a large aircraft hangar for one of the major airlines just a short distance from Vanguard Hall at O'Hare Field. During one particular evening an airliner crashed into that hangar during practice. Although an alert member of the Guard found an emergency exit very quickly and saved many lives that night, lives were lost. Ironically, it was just 10 years later (1978) that the infamous American Airline DC-10 crash at O’Hare occurred, also a short distance from the new Vanguard Hall. In a separate incident, two Color Guard members who were walking home after an evening’s practice were hit by car and both were killed. So even with all of the Vanguard’s success in 1968, it was also a very sad year for the Vanguard.

Geez, can you imagine that happening?

Tom: I'm glad you dug out that account of the hanger. I remember this like it was yesterday for several reasons, the most important one being that the girl guard's rehearsal was canceled that night because the instructor was sick. Only the boy guard was at the rehearsal at the Braniff Airline hangar. The North Central airliner that plowed into that hanger came in right where the girl guard usually practiced. It is likely that we all would have died. The boy guard, which was in a different part of the hangar, still suffered a death and some injuries (burns). The boy who died had just joined the corps. Too heartbreaking for words.

Someone else on this thread mentioned the large guard but underestimated the number. The 1969 guard contained roughly 20 boys (flagline), 30 girls in the flagline, 4 rifles, 4 sabres, and 4 or 5 in the American flag squad. Very large guard!

I'm not sure about other particulars with this photo, but Donnie was only with Blue Star in 1975...when they were 5th. In 1974 the corps had taken a nose dive to 10th place.

12th place, actually.

Tom: I'm glad you dug out that account of the hanger. I remember this like it was yesterday for several reasons, the most important one being that the girl guard's rehearsal was canceled that night because the instructor was sick. Only the boy guard was at the rehearsal at the Braniff Airline hangar. The North Central airliner that plowed into that hanger came in right where the girl guard usually practiced. It is likely that we all would have died. The boy guard, which was in a different part of the hangar, still suffered a death and some injuries (burns). The boy who died had just joined the corps. Too heartbreaking for words.

Someone else on this thread mentioned the large guard but underestimated the number. The 1969 guard contained roughly 20 boys (flagline), 30 girls in the flagline, 4 rifles, 4 sabres, and 4 or 5 in the American flag squad. Very large guard!

Cathy did you also have a sister named Jane who marched in the Vanguard guard?

St. Gregory Crusaders Milwaukee, WI 1964-65

crusadersmilwaukee.jpg

Paul Milano, Drummer with the Chicago Cavaliers and Chicago Royal-Airs Alumni Corps marched in this Corps.