some old corps photos

Try this: they were known as the Fabulous RED Skirts

Ahhhhh, I wondered why the original looked kinda scary! Thanks for the clarification.

Ahhhhh, I wondered why the original looked kinda scary! Thanks for the clarification.

The original wasn't scary to me.

It was a simple summer sunny parade.

Where young and old gathered before the big festivities.

Seems you and I are of differing opinions which is allowed in a forum.

"pet shop boys" + "absolutely fabulous" = "pet shop boys absolutely fabulous" :-)

The Fabulous Red Skirts were ahead of their time, imo

edit for spelling :-p

Edited by lindap

Got to be 66 with white shoes and mellos.

I think the 3rd person from the Left is Finis Horton who helped out at camps with us in 77-78

I think the 3rd person from the Left is Finis Horton who helped out at camps with us in 77-78

Pictured is Madison's first ever mello section - Rick Brantmeyer and Phineas Horton.

The white plumes were a massive improvement over the original (1962) fuzzy pickles.

The original wasn't scary to me.

It was only the shade of red that kept getting my attention; felt like a Halloween flashback or something! But I didn't know their nickname, hence the reason behind it.

Linda, great photo!

I remember you in this uniform, you may have been short and shy but you were a commanding presence on the field.

Also, l absolutely love the photo below byline posted of you some time ago, such a classic!

You can be my DM any day!

Seneca%20Princemen-1974.JPG

I'd be honored to be your DM :laugh: and thanks so much for your posts.

A small menagerie of many mes; 3 of the countless uniforms/costumes I wore in drum corps or theatre.

Me in a red skirt. Our 1975 uniforms were of a synthetic blend. The skirts were a lined circle.

I remember the guard enjoyed the way the skirt fanned and flitted when they did a quick about turn.

The corps felt good when wearing this uniform. Beside me is Sherry. She marched in Seneca Optimists.

1975-SenecaPrincemen-a.jpg

1977 AAG guard and DMs mostly wore orange. We also had white and the entire corps had 2 additional uniforms.

We wore white T shirts and shorts under the tunics which were machine washable and durable.

The tunic hems were adjusted so that from a distance, the hems had an illusion of a straight line.

Based on my body language in the photo below, I was conducting either Moonlight Serenade or Feelings.

1977EnglandHeckingtoncopy.jpg

My week-at-a-glance says Jan 15/77 comp. guard 10-1 B band 1-5, pick up material at Western Textiles;

Jan 16/77 A band rehearsal 1-5, measure, cut material, photocopy instructions, give to the comp. guard for sewing.

Jan 22/77 contact Shirley Potters and Malabar Limited; Feb 16/77 make flags for comp. guard.

Feb 17/77 pick up shoes and hats; Feb 19-20 comp. guard clinic, Feb 23 depart for Seattle, first winter guard contest for AAG.

Me in white. I sewed my own uniform as did many of the girls. The photo is kinda like we're saying, "Hello DCP!" "Hi y'all!" :-)

w-g-07aenhanced-a.jpg

Nisei Ambassadors 1973

corpsphotos9283-1.jpg

GOD! Fleabag... where did you get this picture?

This was American Legion State prelims, 1973. Our first show back in competition after folding post-1971. I think there were maybe 2 of us in the corps that had ever competed before. This would have been taken before we disintegrated on the field. Two lines that were supposed to pass each other at 90 degrees collided instead, and it all fell apart after that. Our horn instructor was pretending to applaud, except that he did it at 130bps for the entire show. We got a penalty for off-field cueing!

Nisei held on valliantly until finally folding after the 1977 season. Actually got kind of good again around 1975. Thought we might be ready to "make the move". But, it didn't happen.

For little kids, they sure look tough in that picture, don't they? I think those American Flag guards may be all of 9-10 years old. We may not have executed, but we always did a good job of teaching ATTITUDE.

Bob Cole

Nisei Ambassadors

"Envoys" (the B corps) 1969-1970

Percussion, 1971, DM 1972-1976.