some old corps photos

Have to really appreciate that guard uniform. I tend to like the traditional look.

They got rid of the hat for second tour and replaced it with a huge red flower, because otherwise the uniforms had absolutely no color.

The 80s were full of gear-stripping 180s for the Xmen, and this year was no exception.

Edited by tommytimp

They got rid of the hat for second tour and replaced it with a huge red flower, because otherwise the uniforms had absolutely no color.

The 80s were full of gear-stripping 180s for the Xmen, and this year was no exception.

And I never understood that for either the Crossmen or the Freelancers. Both corps had a look that worked, only to be substituted by many variants of uniforms that didn't work; I was never clear on why the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" axiom was so routinely forgotten for them. (Of course, the same can be said for that "uniform" my own corps wore in 1980.)

And I never understood that for either the Crossmen or the Freelancers. Both corps had a look that worked, only to be substituted by many variants of uniforms that didn't work; I was never clear on why the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" axiom was so routinely forgotten for them. (Of course, the same can be said for that "uniform" my own corps wore in 1980.)

Right there with you on Xmen and Freelancers. I never got to see Oakland live, so I'm not there with you at all. You're out in the snow by YOURSELF! HA! See how it feels!

Ahem.

Right there with you on Xmen and Freelancers. I never got to see Oakland live, so I'm not there with you at all. You're out in the snow by YOURSELF! HA! See how it feels!

Ahem.

Here ya go (believe it or not, the entire corps wore this):

1980%20Oakland%20Crusaders.jpg

1980EtobicokeOaklandCrusaders9.jpg

Edited by byline

You have to remember that this was all the result of the "garfield effect" Since 83, Drum corps as we knew it then...died ! And every corps was forced to change their game to catch up or compete, so to speak. Change for the sake of change happened at lightening spead from 1984 - 1988. Crossmen, along with all the east coast corps, were in deep trouble and none ever beat Garfield again in the 80's they had to try and come up with a way to stay relevant, evolve and fit into the new mold......go back and watch 1985.....visually, the worst year ever for any corps....such a sloppy mess fo everyone as they all were rushed to learn a new style of marching and playing, visually, they had to change the game too, and corps that succeeded were the ones that rose in the rankings...

It wasnt until 86 Blue Devils came back on the field with their own tried and true style and out powered everyone and took it all back and swang the pendulum back a bit. Who knows what would have happened if garfield didnt go do such an experimental mess in 86.

G

Edited by GMichael1230

Now get this; we went from this (see below; this was the uniform that the corps wore from 1975 to 1979) to that (see above) in 1980:

1979oakland1.preview.JPG

1979oakland2.JPG

1979oakland3.JPG

1979oakland4.JPG

oakland79chattanooga23b.jpeg

1979-Oakland%20Crusaders_0.preview.jpg

Funny moment from 1980: I will never forget the howls of protest from the fellas as they tried on the pants. They zipped up the side, a la women's pants (which I don't believe anyone does anymore). So not only were these uniforms ugly, but now the guys absolutely refused to use the washroom in 'em!

You have to remember that this was all the result of the "garfield effect" Since 83, Drum corps as we knew it then...died ! And every corps was forced to change their game to catch up or compete, so to speak.

OK, this part I get. But Garfield never changed its uniform during that time (though the guard uniform constantly changed). So I don't see how that factors in, exactly. Trying to keep up with the drill/musical changes that Garfield wrought, I do get. But changing the corps' image, which is so encapsulated by the uniform? That I don't get, especially if it's an image that worked. Keep the stuff that works, and change the stuff that doesn't.

Of course, I can see how the "change for the sake of change" mentality was creeping in at all levels. It was happening long before Garfield asserted itself as a DCI superpower; you can see the "lovely" results in my own corps, above.