some old corps photos

There's an incredible photo of them that either Cheryl Miller or Joel Alleyne had. Sadly, since sitting there and drooling over it back in 1978, I haven't been able to track it down anywhere. It was a staged shot of the corps in a courtyard, arranged, as I recall, in a square or rectangle, all at parade rest. I just couldn't get enough of that black-and-cream cadet-style uniform with the asymmetrical opposite-colored sleeve, gauntlets and the metal helmet with the horsehair plume. It was just the all-time perfect uniform!

Cherly Miller's sister is Debbie Miller; she marched with Optimists, 2 people named Debbie Miller marched with Scarborough Firefighters at the time. 3 Debbie Millers!

edit(yikes)go to post #19086; click on the 2nd link! my guess answer is lionettes Opti-Burr :-) um...me and one of the Debbie Millers, our first year in high school grade 9

1969school-a.jpg

Edited by lindap

Cheryl Miller's sister is Debbie Miller; she marched with Optimists, 2 people named Debbie Miller marched with Scarborough Firefighters at the time. 3 Debbie Millers!

Yup, Debbie came over to teach Oakland's rifle line in '78, then taught the entire guard in '79. I saw both Cheryl and Debbie at the Buffalo show last year. It was great seeing them again after all these years! Debbie and Wendy Pacquin are also the ones responsible for writing the book for, and teaching, that great Seneca Optimists guard; strangely, Marie Czapinski got credit for writing the guard book because she came along with Gary, who wrote the drill. Marie was a guard consultant, but had nothing to do with writing the guard book; that was all Debbie and Wendy. And in 78, my first year to march Oakland, I could see that the Miller sisters' writing was way ahead of its time; lots more body movement than most guards were doing back then. Two very talented and creative women who did not get the credit they deserve!

Edit: I just realized that I didn't explain much about Cheryl Miller's contribution. Cheryl taught Oakland's flag line in '77 and '78, then came back in '79 to help clean and refine the book on second tour in '79. It was a sad situation for her, because as she said last year, after she lost us (meaning Oakland), she never taught again. The guard community lost a great talent!

Edited by byline

Yup, Debbie came over to teach Oakland's rifle line in '78, then taught the entire guard in '79. I saw both Cheryl and Debbie at the Buffalo show last year. It was great seeing them again after all these years! Debbie and Wendy Pacquin are also the ones responsible for writing the book for, and teaching, that great Seneca Optimists guard; strangely, Marie Czapinski got credit for writing the guard book because she came along with Gary, who wrote the drill. Marie was a guard consultant, but had nothing to do with writing the guard book; that was all Debbie and Wendy. And in 78, my first year to march Oakland, I could see that the Miller sisters' writing was way ahead of its time; lots more body movement than most guards were doing back then. Two very talented and creative women who did not get the credit they deserve!

Edit: I just realized that I didn't explain much about Cheryl Miller's contribution. Cheryl taught Oakland's flag line in '77 and '78, then came back in '79 to help clean and refine the book on second tour in '79. It was a sad situation for her, because as she said last year, after she lost us (meaning Oakland), she never taught again. The guard community lost a great talent!

I'm impressed with your knowledge of the very talented Miller sisters, byline. Here's a couple of triva questions concerning them:

1-What was their hometown?

2-What Drum Corps did they march in (hint-I believe it was an All Girl Corps...there were two in that city back then...not sure which one it was?

Your more than welcome to get in this as well, lindap.

I'm impressed with your knowledge of the very talented Miller sisters, byline. Here's a couple of triva questions concerning them:

2-What Drum Corps did they march in (hint-I believe it was an All Girl Corps...there were two in that city back then...not sure which one it was?

Oh pick me, pick me, I know the answers!

Edited by Paq

OK, I see that Wendy has posted, so I'll reply before reading hers:

1. I believe they were from Sault Ste. Marie, ON.

2. I know they both marched Seneca. Being from Sault Ste. Marie, would they have marched Bandettes? Somehow I don't remember them talking about this, and probably should.

I should also note that Cheryl and Debbie are my guard mentors, and among the most wonderful people I've ever met. They never hesitated to take people into their tiny little Toronto apartment and make it a home for them. I will forever be grateful for that amazing summer of '78!

Edited by byline

Oops, should've read Linda's post more closely! :devil: