some old corps photos

Thank you baja for this scan; it was taken at CNE stadium September 2, 1974.

74-seneca-baja_zps6881f29c.jpg

1974 Seneca Princemen, performing in the rain, photo courtesy of Chris M

74-seneca-chris_zpsd1d1f523.jpg

I was there, probably sitting near the photographer of this pic. I was high up in the grandstand, not many people up that high in the stands until A class corps started competing. Then a bunch of Del folks (Mike Duffy was one of them) who I wouldn't get to know until a few years later, came and took up the two rows in front of me.

Princemen did an incredible show that night. Not sure why Del didn't compete.

Regards,

John

I was there, probably sitting near the photographer of this pic. I was high up in the grandstand, not many people up that high in the stands until A class corps started competing. Then a bunch of Del folks (Mike Duffy was one of them) who I wouldn't get to know until a few years later, came and took up the two rows in front of me.

Princemen did an incredible show that night. Not sure why Del didn't compete.

Regards,

John

Thanks for the kind words John. I remember very little about this performance as there were so many over the years. I do recall the CNE stadium. It had a grandstand overhang where the audience sat dry in the rain and with a view of the ferris wheel and roller coaster. There was something about the grandstand that made drum corps music clear and subsequently we had a good year. Our repertoire was March Slav, Traditional and Folk Music of Russia, Pomp and Circumstance,1812 Overture and it felt good to conduct our corps in 1974.

I’ve posted a number of scans of memorabilia here over the years and was on the Alberta All Girls 2011 reunion committee which planning took over a year. Their archives are exquisite filled with exceptional photos, slides, music and video but we needed the words of those that were there. The stories relayed to a compiler prior to our 2006 reunion were lost. We will start again.

Mike Duffy was Alberta All Girls music director 1972-1978. Work was mostly done in 3 seasons fall, winter, spring. During the summer of 1974, Mike and Ralph traveled to Germany to assist AAG with World Cup Soccer performance early July after which Ralph Hardimon went west and Duffy worked with De La Salle Oaklands. Mike also came to Seneca Princemen’s rehearsals as a consultant. I remember him telling me as DM, ‘quit watching the guard (whom I taught) and concentrate on the horn line!’ (in as many words). We had other instructors/consultants from Del, Tom, Myron, Tony to name a few.

As to why Del wasn’t at nationals 74; maybe their season ended after Ithaca? Or perhaps you can ask John Jones? If you don’t mind, I’ll be looking for help for the words of the posted scans. I can’t provide the history of at least 3 corps without assistance and when we’re done we’ll send along to corpsreps.com ; )

1976 program, Cadet Lancers

IMG_0005-a_zpsba190360.jpg

I was a marching instructor for one of the above 2 corps for 2-3 months spring of 74; could teach more than one corps as long as they weren't in the same class otherwise a conflict of interest.

1976 program, Durham Girls, photo by Doug Smith

IMG_0004-b_zps6946af0f.jpg

Durham High School Bugle Band 1949-1954

Durham District High School Trumpet Band 1954-1968

Durham Girls Drum and Bugle Corps 1968-1984

Edited by lindap

Remembered them when they came to NY for a parade or two at the Erie County Fair.

1976 program, Durham Girls, photo by Doug Smith

IMG_0004-b_zps6946af0f.jpg

Remembered them when they came to NY for a parade or two at the Erie County Fair.

Whoa! What's she playing those Timbales with?