some old corps photos

OK hold up, I'm a good italian from NY and all, my name ends in a vowel, and yes we grew up calling it gravy also, and I happen to cooking Chicken Parmagiana as I'm typing this.

But tuna with relish?? I don't know what section of the old country your familia is from but we don't eat THAT!!!!!!!! :blink:

must be a Boston thing, you talk funny and eat funny! :P

How 'bout some tuna and ketchup?MMMMmm,kick that up a nawtch. :P

Not many Italians in your area huh?  Sauce?  :P

It's OK, you can called it what you want to!

George use to make gravy and spanish rice, most of the time I went hungry, not because it wasn't good, actually I don't know if it was good!  I would eat when we were home, but not on tour, it's so difficult to go from enough for 12 to enough for 212 and in Italian families it's very difficult to like anyone else's gravy or meatballs except your own Mothers! (meatballs, when I was eating animals)  Very difficult to even smell it actually.

Although I do have to say that "Nana B." made a mean gravy, actually, she made a mean everything!  Now that was a cook!  :worthy:

We had many spaghetti dinners as did Quasar, I'd say 99% of their last names ended in a-e-i-o or u!

But it's a tough gig cooking for 150...no matter what you're cooking!  In 2-7 Italians had their tuna with relish, others never heard of it!  :blink:   You just cannot please everyone.

Ya know, Nancy, George B. taught me how to make the "gravy" the "italian" way when I'd stay the nights over their house. One night I treated them to my southern style of fried chicken (just ask any of the guys I marched with how it tastes) :P and made some home made mashed potatoes gravy, and biscuits...I remember they were like, "where do you put the gravy", I said, "you put it on the biscuits and the potatoes" b**bs Differences in cultures. I loved it! I spent some Thanksgivings up there too. Wow...talk about a lot of food! :)

Ms. Lucy also taught me alot of stuff about cooking the "italian" way! She would get on to me about cooking so much for the guys at the corps hall....She wanted me to make sure they gave me some money...I love Ms. Lucy. :)

I remember we had a lot of ravioli, and they would tell us, "Eat your pasta" (In that boston accent), they would tell us, "It builds up your stamnia".. b**bs If we had ravioli that was a good day! Usually it was tuna with the relish or pb & J!

Edited by Lancerlady

QUOTE(johnric @ Mar 21 2005, 06:37 PM)

OK hold up, I'm a good italian from NY and all, my name ends in a vowel, and yes we grew up calling it gravy also, and I happen to cooking Chicken Parmagiana as I'm typing this.

But tuna with relish?? I don't know what section of the old country your familia is from but we don't eat THAT!!!!!!!!

must be a Boston thing, you talk funny and eat funny!

My parents were born in Rome? And yours? However my Dad was part Scicilian.

I'm not sure about the Italians that helped the corps, they weren't born in Italy!

And People from New Jersey sound just fine, right?! :blink: That's what I thought!

Edited by LancerFi

Uhh....never heard of it  :blink:

Your name is Robert Brown!

Anyway, there was never, ever, any tuna with relish left. Too many Italians in the guard!

aayyy,,aaayyyoooo back up der sweethart! no makin fun of people from joisey!!!

aaahhh go head I'm from Long Island! :P

BTW my Pop is also from the Rome area, My Ma's family has been here since the mid 1800's

Yuck, Yuck, Yuck... Joisey!!! :P I'm first generation....

I only ever once closed the boutique down in the Dominican Republic, it was when the Italians arrived. For some reason we got a rude batch! The family next to me are also a piece of work! But another story for another time for another thread!! :P

do you mean like hot dog relish???

Yes, it is hot dog relish. Maybe it was because they didn't know what pickles were when they first arrived or something? Although I don't know which came first, the pickle or the relish, oh wait that's easy, the pickle.

Anyway, I learned from a snare drummer from Connecticut to put mayo on my french fries and sometimes scrambled eggs, that was a new one for me!!

aayyy,,aaayyyoooo back up der sweethart! no makin fun of people from joisey!!!

aaahhh go head I'm from Long Island! :P

BTW my Pop is also from the Rome area, My Ma's family has been here since the mid 1800's

Noooooooooooooo, Long Island people talk just fine tooooooo!! :P :P :P

I cannot even spell how people from Long Island say Long Island, but let me try.....Luowng Eyelind..... :blink::blink::blink::worthy::blink::blink:

That didn't really capture it, and I have a twitch now....ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, I made myself spit up.................. :blink::blink::ph34r::blink::bleah: I'ma twitchin.............

P.S. Oh my, Luonwong Eyelin (remove d from above), I cannot stop laughing, I'm now having a spasm....ouchie...

Edited by LancerFi